Quick Pickled Okra

Doug D

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I grew more cucumbers than I could use this year, and ended up trading some to the local organic nursery for some okra. I tried a couple of quick pickling recipes-- not interested in full-blown canning-- and this one, adapted from a Martha Stewart recipe, was the best. Here's the (slightly modified) recipe:

Quick Pickled Okra

1 lb. fresh okra, halved lengthwise
6 T. coarse kosher salt
1 medium onion
3 cups white vinegar (5% acidity)
2 cups water
2 T. sugar or granular Splenda
1 T. pickling spices
2 bay leaves
1/4 t. red (cayenne) pepper

Place okra in a non-reactive bowl (glass or plastic) or a plastic collander, and add 3 T. of the salt. Toss to distribute salt evenly. Set aside to drain for 10-15 minutes. Discard any liquid.

Halve onion lengthwise and slice into half-inch thick slices.

In a non-reactive saucepan, bring the vinegar, water, onion, spices, cayenne, sugar, the remaining 3 T. salt and the bay leaves to a slow boil. Rinse okra under cool running water and place in a heat-resistant dish (like a 2.5 qt. Pyrex casserole). Pour boiled brine over okra to cover and let cool to room temperature. Chill thoroughly before serving. Pickled okra may be transferred to another suitable container (glass or plastic) for storage in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks.

This recipe is also good for pickling fresh string beans. If I have some blanched ones hanging around, I add them to the okra batch for a little variety. Strips of fresh red bell pepper or fresh pimiento are also a welcome addition.

Fresh okra is great, but has a very short harvest window. If you're growing your own-- and it's not difficult to do so in the right climate-- you may want to harvest them at a slightly smaller size than what you usually see at the supermarket in order to guarantee they'll be edible. You want them about 4-5 inches long, but if you wait even a day or two to try and let them get a little larger, they'll become tough, fibrous, and essentially useless for anything but the compost bin. Ironically-- depending on sun and rainfall conditions-- faster-growing pods may be tender at a larger size than slower-growing smaller pods. If you're not sure about a pod, check the tip-- if it's rubbery and flexible, the pod should be tender and edible. If a pod is at all difficult to slice, it's probably is too late to use it.

Back