Thermapen Question.......

Dom R

TVWBB Super Fan
When checking for temp on meats while grilling, do you take the meat off the grill to check the temp or do it while on the grill. I found that the temp was way overly exaggerated while the meat was on the grill comapared to when I checked it while off the grill and on a plate.
Any thoughts? I might have inserted the probe a bit too much and it perhaps was picking up the heat from the hot grate? I know I didn't pierce thru the meat so I'm a little confused. I do know that the pen is working properly because I did the boiling water test.

Dom, I do take the food off the grill to probe.
It's fast and easy while getting the most accurate reading.
By the way, I hope your Thermapen is the <span class="ev_code_GREEN">GREEN</span> model.
Well, no problem if it's not. It'll still work OK, just won't be the fastest Thermapen.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
By the way, I hope your Thermapen is the <span class="ev_code_GREEN">GREEN</span> model.
Well, no problem if it's not. It'll still work OK, just won't be the fastest Thermapen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

mine is the white one....also knows as "white lighting".
I saw the green ones in the clearance bin so I passed on it.
icon_biggrin.gif

Nope, with the speed of the GREEN no need to remove meat from grill. I get very accurate temps. Gotta use GREEN tho.

Mark

I have a slightly different model with a very fine needle probe so it may operate a bit differently. But what I do is insert it into the center and wait for a reading, then I push it in to see if temps rise, if they do I back it out until they drop, and then continue to draw it out until they rise again. That way I know the temp at the coldest point, which isn't always the center due to your flipping pattern.

Like I said my needle probe is very fine and it allows me to detect instant changes in temps. I've never worked with a pen, so I can't say whether it will work or not.

I actually haven't quite figured out the best way to read with a thermapen either... This is good info to see what other people do! While it is accurate it jumps around quite a bit..maybe it's because I got the black one
icon_smile.gif

I think for the most accurate reading... regardless of what you're model you're using (or color for that matter
icon_razz.gif
)... you have to take the meat off.

I don't usually unless I'm being real picky. I think probes get confused with ambient reading of the surrounding heat. If you think about it, the heat sorda pulses or comes in waves as it rises. Maybe as those waves hit the exposed part of the probe, it causes it to fluctuate a bit.

I agree.....especially for thinner and smaller pieces of meat. This was exactly what was happening when I used my pen to temp a few not so thick steaks while on the grill. Temps were jumping all over the place but not as much when checked off the grill.

Glad we had this discussion.

Back