menu ideas for two

Jamie Berry

TVWBB Fan
The wife and I are trying to save money and plan menus for the week so when we go to the store it's planned and i'm not just grabbing stuff that looks good. We're stuck in a revolving speghetti-steak-chicken breast-meatloaf menu that is getting really old.

Any frugal chefs out there that can recommend well rounded meals w/ bbq flare? Thanks for the help.

Rather than get into specific menus because I don't know your likes and dislikes, I can offer a few suggestions. Also, IMO, too many dishes with a BBQ flair can get old, so I'll offer general recommendations. Since you mention 'frugal'...
1st, do you get weekly flyers from local supermarkets? In my area there are 2 very competitive markets and each week they put out flyers in the mail. Normally, they will offer certain meat and produce items as 'loss leaders' to pull in shoppers. Many times, I'll pick up my meat (usually most expensive component of the meal) based on this. From there, I plan the rest of the meal. Anyone can make a great meal from prime rib eyes, but what about a chuck roast, top round, chicken thighs? That is more of a challenge for a good cook. A little research is then needed to find/develop recipes for these foods. This site is a great source, but also check other websites and the library for cookbooks. Are there farmer's markets in your area? Buy locally if you can for freshness and quality (not to mention supporting local agri-business). Not always the least expensive, but the quality is generally superior to say a walmart produce item. Buy what's in season. Buy frozen fruits for certain recipes as they are generally harvested at their peak and flash frozen. Mix things up and go vegetarian every now and then. Sub a grilled portabella for meat if you miss that texture. Make your own soups and stews. A slow cooker (crock pot) can be very useful for long cooks while you're at work and can do good things to a cheap cut of meat that needs tenderizing. Experiment with seasoning; herbs and spices can make a huge difference. To me, chicken is like a blank canvas and so inexpensive. You can use more seasonings on chicken than on any other meat and if done right, no 2 dishes will taste similar. For example with chicken, you can go with these styles; Indian, Mexican, Italian, Asian, American, etc. Have fun with your food!

Paul

Awesome! Thanks for the suggestions. I'm in Atlanta so there are plenty of farmers mkts. to peruse as well as competitive mega mkts. that have weekly specials.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">In my area there are 2 very competitive markets and each week they put out flyers in the mail. Normally, they will offer certain meat and produce items as 'loss leaders' to pull in shoppers. Many times, I'll pick up my meat (usually most expensive component of the meal) based on this. From there, I plan the rest of the meal. Anyone can make a great meal from prime rib eyes, but what about a chuck roast, top round, chicken thighs? That is more of a challenge for a good cook. A little research is then needed to find/develop recipes for these foods. This site is a great source, but also check other websites and the library for cookbooks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I really like that idea ... sort of an iron chef approach ... take what's on sale and run with it

'oh look, goat is $1.49/lb this week, now what can I do with it?'

it's fun to try new things, as long as you accept from the start some things won't work out the first time (need practice) and others might work out fine but you just don't like it

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> it's fun to try new things </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree. Now, I don't strictly adhere to this system week in and week out. Sometimes you just got to have that rib eye that isn't on sale!

Jamie, yes in the Atlanta area you should have many resources. My brother lives in Lawrenceville and I remember going out with him to some fantastic markets.

Paul

In our household of two, we often find you cannot buy in small enough quantities that you don't end up with leftovers that aren't consumed before it's time to trash them. And eating the same meal three days in a row just doesn't cut it, either. I, too, look for the protein on sale, and then try to figure out what I can do with it that will provide three reasonably different meals that don't feel repetitive. For example:

Marinated flank steak, grilled with a few veggies on Sunday. On Monday, more thin slices of steak, in a big skillet full of onions and peppers make for easy fajitas with sour cream, diced tomatoes, and those individual packs of Wholly Guacamole. Third day, leftover steak, peppers, onions, plus melted cheese on hoagie roll.

Or a recent pound or so of fresh shrimp: First day, Vietnamese spring rolls with spicy peanut/hoisin sauce. Second, more shrimp, quickly sauteed, on top of Caesar salads. Third use, sauteed and then tossed with olive oil, butter, garlic, parsley and lemon in angel hair pasta.

We've also lately been buying the Bertolli Premium sauces in microwaveable pouches. There are multiple types. Each one provides two generous servings, and no leftover half a jar in the fridge. Nuke the pouch for 90 seconds on high, and pour it in a bowl on top of cubed up pre-cooked chicken tender meat. The too-hot-to-eat sauce warms the chicken, and then it can go on top of whatever pasta with a little shaved parm for a really quick meal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> we often find you cannot buy in small enough quantities that you don't end up with leftovers that aren't consumed before it's time to trash them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very true. I've got all kinds of stuff in the freezer. 2 words: "Food Saver".

Oh, I've had one for many years, but I prefer to reserve it for the things we really can't consume in a reasonable time, like several pounds of pulled pork portioned out, turkey leg quarters from a holiday meal for gumbo, and the like.

My wife and I wil eat leftovers on the next day so we usually refrigerate enough for the next meal. Any other leftovers get identified, dated, and put in the freezer. These frozen meals are really handy when we come home from a busy day, or return home from vacation late in the day.

Ray

Back