Guru Eyelets

Branon S.

TVWBB Super Fan
Are the Guru Eyelets worth it? I'm right in the middle of ordering a set and want to make sure they are a good idea. I know the pros but what are the cons and are they easy to install?

Thanks in advance!

They are very easy to install, if you ever wanted to take them out, it however, would take some work. I love mine, looks nicer then having wires smashed under your lid. Being that the holes are actually under your grates means that the probe has to be thread through the bottom of your grates. Its not such a big deal, especially if you prepare the smoker by putting the meat and therms on before setting it all on top of the coals. Hope this helps.

Brandon

Thanks.

Are there any alternatives in the hardware store that might not cost $16 and I could pick up this weekend?

I think that the Guru eylets are worth the money. You will understand that after they are installed. It's a clean well thought out tool for your WSM.

MikeZ

I installed mine a few weeks ago and this weekend will be the first time using them. I agree that the instal is easy and they look very clean. I'm kind of anal and I like to have everything in place and clean so this was a great mod for me.

I am a very big fan of the eyelets. To me, they are much nicer than running wires under the top or through the side door.

The question I have is, could you replace all 4 of the top screws with eyelets?

On my last cook, I did 3 butts. With 4 eyelets I could use one for my DigiQ pit probe, one for the DigiQ meat probe and then the other two for meat probes from my NuTemp remote therm. That way I could know the temps for everything in my cooker.

The two eyelets I have now don't seem to be loose or hold the grill straps in place poorly. Why not put in 4 of them?

Yep - love mine. Have 4 installed on my WSM. As far as them needing to be drilled out for removal, don't know why I would ever want to remove them. So that's a don't care for me. Pretty sure you will like them. Before you install yours, run to the hardware store and get a couple extra ss allen head screws to match the ones that come with the kits. They can snap off during removal (backing out after installation). And you won't be able to install the second eyelet in the kit.

Originally posted by Lee Morris:
I am a very big fan of the eyelets. To me, they are much nicer than running wires under the top or through the side door.

The question I have is, could you replace all 4 of the top screws with eyelets?

On my last cook, I did 3 butts. With 4 eyelets I could use one for my DigiQ pit probe, one for the DigiQ meat probe and then the other two for meat probes from my NuTemp remote therm. That way I could know the temps for everything in my cooker.

The two eyelets I have now don't seem to be loose or hold the grill straps in place poorly. Why not put in 4 of them?

Lee, back when Fred was getting ready to introduce the eyelets, I asked him that same question. It came up here back in 2004. He assured me that they would easily handle the load no matter how you installed them. Here's a pic of mine. There are 4 eyelets installed, 2 on the top rack and 2 on the bottom. Hope this helps.

4eyeletssmxc7.jpg

Bill
wsmsmile8gm.gif

darn, for me to look at 7.95 for a set of eyelets, and shipping is about 7bucks, that's over 15bucks for a few oz of metal. maybe something else to add to the order?

Originally posted by danmarks:
darn, for me to look at 7.95 for a set of eyelets, and shipping is about 7bucks, that's over 15bucks for a few oz of metal. maybe something else to add to the order?

get the probe tree, i love mine

Do stoker probes actually fit through them?

I bought a set of eyelets from the Rocks BBQ with my stoker and they are basically worthless - the probes don't fit because the protective sheath over them is too wide to fit through the eyelet.

Are the Guru ones bigger than the ones Rock's sells?

I know if I was buying them again I would get the ones from guru. I got the one's from Rocks and they work with my probes for my maverick 73, but they are not like the ones in the picture on their website. There is no sleeve for the inside portion which go's inside the smoker.

The eyelets that I got from Rock, look like the 6th one from the left on that website. But it hard to tell for sure from the picture. And if I remember correctly somebody posted that the eyelets need to be 5/16 in diameter, for wire to pass thru them.
Also I flew radio control planes in the past and the collars that I got with my eyelets are the type that you I uesd hold the wheels on.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0095P?FVSEARCH=collars
Somebody on this site probally could compare these websites and tell you for sure.

The eyelets arrived today. I'm going to install them after I clean some of the gunk out of the smoker this weekend.

FWIW, an earlier post mentioned getting a T-nut at Lowe's for creating an eyelet. I took his advice and went to my local store. Bought the T-Nut, ground off the spikes, insterted it in a hole in smoker, and secured it with a set collar. All Stainless, for $5.00.

Back