DigiQ II Question

Paul Balzotti

TVWBB Fan
Ok I have a prime rib on the cooker. I am using my DigiQ II and my maverick. Anybody know why there would be a 20 degree difference between the two therms? Which one should I trust?

paul are they both at the same elevation in the WSM, and have you calibrated both in boiling water (insert probes into boiling water and see what the temps are)?

If the DigiQ proble is at grate level, and the other is higher you will see a difference in Tempeartures.

My DigiQ is right on, and the Polder I have reads somewhat higher.

Interesting, I was just about to post the same question when I saw your post.

Right now I am using my DigiQ II and Maverick 73 to smoke some baby backs. I am going to try K Kruger's preference for cooking BBs at 325 degrees.

I used the Minion method to start the fire. I have the Guru fan set at 10 CFM. Right now, after 58 minutes, The Maverick read 305 degrees and the DigiQ II reads 295. That is a 10 degree difference. Earlier when the temps were in the 250 degree range, I noticed that the Maverick was reading in the range of of 12 - 16 degrees higher than the DidiQII

If one is higher in the WSM you will get a higher temp. If you are using the meat probe then I would use a standard thermometer to check the temp of the meat. If not 10 degrees probably won't make a difference. However, with poultry I err on the side of caution.

Try placing both probes into boiling water before you next cook and see what the respective temps are.

I have the DigiQ II probe clipped onto the maverick probe so they are both at the same level about 1 inch below the grate.

When I checked mine I found that the Polder was reading high, so check them and let us know what you found out.

Has anyone tried the Guru's probe tree? I have one and really like it. It's much easier to get the probes onto the top grate and close together for more accurate readings. I use it for the pit probe and a Nu-Temp probe that tells me the upper grate temp.

Rita

I had them both on the same height but on different sides of the great.

I had the meat probe from the digi Q in the meat and the Maverick outside didn't use it. The meat was right on I checked it with my meat therm before I took it out and it was 125.

but the Pit temp was off by at least 20 degrees. I will have to try and calibrate with the boing water.

ok I did the boiled water test. The Digi Q was 209 and the Maverick was 213. Could it be how the Digi Q Wires were under the lid?

this is pry no help but my pitminder is way off comp. to my other remote therm (which I test often). I tie the two therm's together w/ foil in exact same location is why I say this. Seems like i've also read exactly what i'm typing now as well. i just tweek the dial I guess... I cant calibrate anything that I know of. Didn't hurt my feelings to bad but your setup is better than mine(calabratable..?
icon_smile.gif
), good luck.
edit. . . actually to maybe be more of a hand I've heard plenty of people running wires under lid, if you dont slam the lid down everything i've heard is that it should be fine, although I started off pokin them through top vent, and so i just never stopped doing it that way, note that i'll tell you its kind of a pain this way but i sleep better knowing my wires not pinched cause i spent a bit of money on the darn thing, and also in the middle of a problem myself... good luck

Back