Buttermilk-marinaded double crusted Pork Loin

Jarrod S.

TVWBB Member
If you're a pancake lover this gives you a good excuse to use up leftover buttermilk in a wonderful way.

1 pork loin 4-6 lb
1 package thin cut bacon
1 large ziplock storage bag

Marinade:

2.5 C buttermilk
2 T fresh minced garlic
1 t fresh cracked black pepper
1.5 T kosher salt
2 T fresh thyme
1 T fresh rosemary
1 T dark brown sugar
1/8 t cayenne or chipotle powder (optional)

Wood chips, hickory/maple/apple would all be nice but dont overwhelm the herbs, thats a waste.

Rinse pork loin pat dry, place in large resealable ziplock storage bag. Combine marinade ingredients pour in bag. Marinade for 6-24 hours or till you're ready to cook, whenever that may be. Build a two-zone charcoal fire or prep the grill.

If using wood chips:

Keep temp between 225-280 and let loin gather smoke for 20-30 min. After this time has elapsed place loin over direct med/high heat and sear the outside. Once well seared wrap with bacon and place over indirect heat, continue cooking till internal temp reaches 150.

W/out chips: Sear over med/high heat till well browned, remove from grill and wrap w/bacon, place over indirect heat till internal temp reaches 150.

Its probably a good idea to wrap with tinfoil once its finished to increase the internal a little.

Marinading the meat brings flavor deeper inside the loin as well as salt and helps tenderize, searing before wrapping with bacon adds two layers of intense flavor, the crunch of the salty bacon followed by the deep rich buttermilk herbal crust of the marinade, finished by the subtle natural pork flavor. Make sure its sear is dark brown and complete, being a roast it can sustain this without overcooking, even if its smoked first.

Yeeesssss i love crispy pork loins i will totally be trying this next time. Sounds great good recipe ill let you know when i try it.

Back