What would cause ice on my regulator (pics)

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
I filled my propane take the other day, connect as I usually do, fired the gasser up, high on all three burnder, came back 30 minutes later and this is what I found:
July408033.jpg

July408032.jpg

Any thoughts on what would cause this? Is my regulator bad? It's fairly new direct from Weber.

My forklift at work does the same thing when i put a tank on if the bottle isn't on correctly. I would unhook that bottle and make sure its on correctly before something goes BOOM. if there was a leak your botttle may be empty now.

Originally posted by J Martin:
It's just acting out in jealousy since you use the WSM and kettle so often
icon_biggrin.gif
That's funny!
icon_biggrin.gif

Liquid Propane boils off at -42.09ºC, about -43.762ºF, and as you drain gas out of the tank, more liquid propane boils off at that temperature. If you're running alot of gas through the line and your humidity (dewpoint) is high enough, that will happen.

Bill

According to Weber:

Frequently Asked Questions I noticed what looks like frost on my regulator. Is this normal?

If your LP tank has recently been filled and you notice frost on the body of the regulator, you may have an overfilled tank. Please:
Turn off the grill.
Call the filling station that filled your tank and explain the situation. If your filling station is unable to help, call your local fire department and tell them you may have an overfilled tank.

Call the filling station that filled your tank and explain the situation. If your filling station is unable to help, call your local fire department and tell them you may have an overfilled tank.

Holy crap!!! This sounds serious, I ran it for 30 minutes that way, just walked in the house and let it run. The filling station I used is closed today, think I should call the fire department?

Remembering this thread from a couple of years ago, it seems you may have some regulator trouble now.
icon_frown.gif

"Posted March 31, 2007 01:21 PM Hide Post
I forgot to mention, even tanks with OPD valves in them can be over filled. The opd valve looks like the float in the back of a toilet and works in the same way. You can tell if they have been over filled with a bathroom scale. Not an ounce more than 38lbs when full. Other way to tell is if the regulator on your grill gets a layer of frost on it. If you catch the layer of frost, the regulator is allready toast. Call for a replacement, take the tank back and have them purge it."

It's not stored in the sun, it ran 30 minutes so I'm not sure it it would still be overfilled . . . depends on how much the moron working the propane at the gas station overfilled it I suppose. I guess next time I need to pay attention (I thought that's what I was paying the guy at the gas station to do) to how much he's putting in there and if he gets to 4.5 I'll stop him.

I'll have to quickly weigh it before the SO sees her glass bathroom scale outside.

Great, looks like I'm replacing the regulator, although I don't understand how over filling the tank would screw my regulator . . .

Thanks for all the feedback.

I weighed her and she was OK, started her up today and no problems. I'm wondering if I dodged a bullet and the "over-fill" burned off the other day. Everything seems to be fine, odd . . .

Back