The Best Rack of Lamb

M D Baldwin

TVWBB Super Fan
This was the best we have ever done.
I got a full fresh rack, Frenched and cracked. If you are lucky to have a good butcher, he will know what you are talking about. If not it will not cook or carve very well.
I took the rack and put some kosher salt and fresh pepper all over it, then rosemary and Herbs de Provance, wrapped it up and put it in the fridge over night.
I fired up the kettle w/ a full starter of charcoal. When it was ready I put some Mesquite on it and cooked by direct heat. After about 20-25 min. the rack was sizzling and I rested it for about 10-15 min before carving the individual chops. While the rack was cooking I made a Balsamic reduction sauce and served it over the lamb. The meat was med-rare-very good.

P.S. Balsamic Reduction Sauce
Take about 2 Tbs Olive oil and and equal amount of butter-NOT margarine. Melt and finely chop a shallot and 1/3 sweet onion. Cook till it is translucent and add 2 or 3 cloves of mashed garlic. Saute for a few minutes and add about 1/4 cup Balsamic vineger and 1/2-3/4 beef stock. Heat on med-high stirring for about 5 minutes. Strain off solids and reduce the liquid to a thicked consistancy. It has a lot of zip.

Sounds Great.
I have not tried crusted racks done with direct heat. I normally do mine indirectly and slowly. When I do them this way they are always fall apart tender.
I must try your way.
The following is my recipe from my personal cookbook.

Rack of Lamb with Roasted Garlic and Herb Crust

4 lamb racks
1 cup thick mint sauce
1 cup lemon juice
1 cup hot water

Herb Crust
(You can either make your own or use McCormick’s prepared mix.

1 cup finely crushed breadcrumbs)
3 teaspoons garlic flakes
2 teaspoons mixed herbs
2 teaspoons onion flakes
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
Pinch of salt to taste

Coat lamb racks with mint sauce and leave stand in fridge for 1/2 hour. Combine herb crust ingredients in a glass bowl, mix well.
Remove lamb racks from fridge and coat well with the garlic and herb crust. Pat the crust to ensure that it sticks well to the lamb racks.
Prepare your Weber Kettle for cooking with an indirect low fire. Pour the lemon juice and hot water into the middle pan. Position the lamb on the grill over the pan and cook for 3 hours.
Serve with minted onion rings and beetroot with horseradish cream.

Minted Onion Rings

3 large white onions
1 cup thick mint sauce
2 sheets alfoil about 300 mm long

Peel and slice onions into 10 to 15 mm thick rings. Place in a glass bowl coat with the mint sauce and marinate for 2 hours in the fridge. Double one sheet of alfoil over and make a tray. Remove onions from pint sauce and place in the tray with a teaspoon of the mint sauce. Wrap the onions up and wrap again with the other sheet of alfoil ensuring that the package is well sealed. Cook in the Weber for 1 to 1 1/2 hours on low heat. Serve as an accompaniment to lamb dishes.
Enjoy
recipe prepared by the Gourmet cabernet alias Captain Cook

Phil,
That really sounds good. When I use the herb for the rack it really wasn't as a crust, but I have had crusted lamb before and it was delicious.
We will have to try this, Thanks for your comments.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have not tried crusted racks done with direct heat. I normally do mine indirectly and slowly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do the same, although I wouldn't say mine fall apart. They are very tender though.

I marinate 1-2 days, then slow-cook both frenched racks (or sometimes boned legs this way too). I try to find both as small/young as I can get them, Colorado or NZ lamb. The marinade can discolor the meat a bit, but after cooking no difference.

Marinade:

2 cups cheap jug chianti (Carlo Rossi Paisano is good for marinating, not so good for drinking)
3-4 oz EVOO
1 tbsp Mustard powder
1tsp-1bsp (your taste) Wasabi powder
1 tsp crushed bay leaves
4 tbsp Worcestershire
1 tsp garlic powder
dozen peppercorns

Mix/shake marinade, then place lamb racks in freezer bag and cover with with it.
Marinate overnight or 2 (better).
Remove racks from marinade, and pat dry lightly.
Season with salt and coarse ground pepper.

I put them in my Weber Kettle with a real hot indirect fire, but directly over the side baskets for a few minutes to give some color/sear. Then close off the vents 50% to lower temps and cook indirect until med-well.

Back