BBQ Baked Beans from scratch

Big Al

TVWBB Super Fan
Hey guys how's it going?? Hope all is well with everyone. The prettier half and myself were thinking about doing some BBQ baked beans from scratch. My only question is....what kind of beans to start with?? We can't figure it out. Thanks for your help.

Big Al

If you're going COMPLETELY from scratch, use dry white navy beans. That's what the canned pork-n-beans and canned "baked" beans are. Here's one I used a few times, when I was ambitious enough to go from scratch. I've posted a few other "doctored" baked beans recipes over under the Side Dishes forum, including my "Hog-Apple" beans, that includes my beloved Blues Hog barbecue sauce and a can of apple pie filling. (Now don't roll your eyes like that!
icon_rolleyes.gif
They're pretty tasty!)
icon_smile.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BBQ Baked Beans

1 pound Navy beans; soaked overnight
6 cups water
6 ounces bacon; chopped
1 large onion; diced
1 small green bell pepper; diced
1 small red bell pepper; diced
1 or 2 jalapeno peppers, diced (optional)
1 cup barbecue sauce (Blues Hog or Head Co Preferred)
1/2 cup cider vinegar (to 1 cup, to your taste)
2 tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
1 cup any leftover smoked meat

In a saucepan cook beans with water for 2 hours. In a saute pan, cook bacon over moderate heat. Add onions and peppers and cook until tender. Add remaining ingredients, including beans and bake at 250F for 45 minutes. Serve hot. Posted to the BBQ List by Bill Wight on Apr 20, 1998 [Keri's note - I like to add a a half a cup or more of brown sugar to this. I like sweet beans.]

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

Back