Apple Pie ~ Traditional Recipes

Bill Hays

TVWBB Platinum Member
I have a full grocery bag and a half of Idared apples left and I'm trying to find the best recipe. I'm sure that several of you out there have great recipes for "Traditional Apple Pie" and I'm ready to put those recipes to the test. Whatcha got?
icon_cool.gif

* Exported from MasterCook *

Blue Ribbon Apple Pie

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
***CRUST***
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 stick chilled unsalted butter -- sliced
1/3 cup chilled vegetable shortening
1/3 cup sugar
1 large egg -- well beaten
1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
2 tablespoons ice water -- approximately
***FILLING***
2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 stick unsalted butter
4 pounds tart green apples -- cut 1/4", peeled
***STREUSEL***
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
4 1/2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 Heath (1.4 oz) toffee bars -- chopped
1 large egg beaten with:
2 tablespoons water -- (glaze)

For crust, combine flour and salt in medium bowl. Cut in butter and shortening with fork till mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in sugar, egg and vinegar. Mix in just enough ice water, 1 tbs. at a time, to form dough that holds together. Divide dough in half, flatten each half into disc, wrap each in plastic and chill 4 hours.

For filling, combine ingredients (except apples and butter), add apples and toss to coat. Melt butter in large skillet over medium high heat. Add apple mixture and cook till apples are slightly softened, about 10 minutes. Cover and chill. Preheat oven to 350F. On a floured surface, roll out 1 dough piece to 14" diameter. Transfer to a 9" deep dish glass pie dish. Trim edges leaving 1/2" overhang. Fold overhang under and let rest on rim of dish. Line crust with foil. Fill with dried beans and bake 10 minutes. Remove beans and foil. Bake crust till crust has set but has no color, about 5 minutes. Remove and cool, leave oven on.
For streusel, combine flour and sugar in bowl. Using fork mix in butter till coarse meal forms. Stir in toffee. On lightly floured surface, roll out 2nd dough disc to 14" diameter. Mound apple filling in prebaked pie crust. Sprinkle streusel over filling. Top with dough round. Trim dough leaving 1/2" overhang. Gently pinch crust edges together to seal. Brush pie with glaze. Cut 5 slits in pie top to allow steam to escape. Bake until crust is golden and apples are tender, about 55 minutes. Cool pie 1 hour. Serve with good quality vanilla ice cream.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And to get TRULY traditional, I present you with this treasure. My grandmother bought me an OLD box of cookbooks at an estate auction back in the late 70's. In the back of one of the oldest ones were these two sheets of paper, written in crayon. I've used the pie crust recipe ever since. For years, Robert's standing joke was that if we ever got a divorce, he got the pie crust recipe in the divorce proceedings. I've never shared this with anyone else in all these years. Seems like a good time to do it. Enjoy.

Keri C

Champ-pie-crust-and-apple-pie-old-a.jpg

Champ-pie-crust-and-apple-pie-old-2-b.jpg

OH MY!! Thank you so much, Keri! That is exactly the kind of recipe I've been looking for! That IS a treasure!!

I'm not worthy . . .
2.gif

Well, here's my present favourite - and it goes down really well with guests.

pastry - do your usual pastry recipe (I can't cope with the different terminologies as I don't know the relationships between all purpose etc flour with our Self Raising, strong, plain etc).

For the filling, take enough sliced eating apples to generously fill the pie, and fry lightly in butter until just browning but still firm. Cool, and place in pie tin (bottom crust in place). Sprinkle with about 2 tablespoons caster sugar and about 1 teaspoon of dried, lightly crushed lavender flowers (use less the first time if you have doubts!!!).
Place top crust on and proceed as usual. The lavender flavour goes so well with apples and is a complete change from the usual cinnamon or cloves or allspice normally used.

Andrew

Back