cabernet sauvignon picks *****

Lance

TVWBB Super Fan
I am trying to buy my wife some wine and she likes cabernet sauvignon. I am not a big wine drinker so I know next to nothing about wine. I will have to buy the wine using the internet and shipping to TN. Does anyone know a good online place to shop and what cabernet sauvignons would you recommend? I am looking for a couple of decent bottles of wine that isn't going to break the bank. Thanks for the help since I am no vinophile.
Lance

Lance,
I may have some bad news for you. TN law forbids the shipping of wine to a TN address. This is one state that the beer and wine distributers have still locked up their monopoly against consumer choice. Check in to it with the online shipper and please let me know if you find that I am wrong!

As far as the wine choice, I am no help - sorry.

Pete,
I may have a work around. The liquor shop on post may be able to order whatever I want. That is so frustrating. I know that in California you can order wine and have it shipped to your house. Thanks for the heads up.

Here are a few that should be readily available just about anywhere, and represent very good values in the $12-$20 range:

Arrowood ‘Grand Archer’ Sonoma Cabernet Sauvignon – Worthy little brother to the always-worthy Arrowood first label.

Chateau St. Jean California Cabernet Sauvignon - This "California" Cab gives a few "Sonoma" Cabs a run for their money. (and that's like your Aunt Jean, not Jean-Claude).

Chateau Ste. Michelle Cabernet Sauvignon - Premium division of the folks who bring you Columbia Crest brings you a bit more refined Washington State red.

Chateau Souverain Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon - A tad more tannic and oakey, typically, than others in this range, making it possibly more age-worthy.

Rodney Strong Sonoma Cabernet Sauvignon - Rodney Strong wines don't get the credit they deserve. Do Rodney a favor and buy a bottle. Try the Merlot, too.

Sebastiani Sonoma Cabernet Sauvignon - Luscious cherry fruit Sebastiani is noted for.

Simi Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon – A major contender in this category and price range.

William Hill Napa Cabernet Sauvignon - One of my perennial favorites. Often overlooked, it can compete with $20-30 Cabs easily.

One of our favorites and consistent "Wine Spectator" best buys is "Columbia Crest" Grand Estates. It's less than 10.00 per bottle and scores in the high 80's to low 90's

OK, no one bash me for what I'm about to write, but I'm throwing it out there just as an FYI; I have it on very good authority
icon_wink.gif
that you can easily ship a couple of bottles of wine at a time via UPS or FedEx into states like TN or UT that do not allow merchants to ship wine into their states. Now this would have to be a "person" vs. a wine merchant like Beverages and More (who I buy a lot of wine from and recommend). I Don't imaging you'd have too much difficultly finding someone one here to help out a man serving his country.

Great list Doug, I've had almost ever bottle on there except the William Hill and they're all good.

A couple of other ideas would be Maryvale Starmount Cab., it's around $20 at Costco or if you want to spend a little more a thought from Rodney Strong Alexander Crown Cab. I recently received an 03 bottle as a gift and really enjoyed it. You can pick it up for around $29.

EDIT: JD's post came-up while I was writing mine. I second Columbia Crest's Grand Estate product. It's a great value for the money, I can usually pick it up for $6.99 - $7.99 per bottle. Great bottle of wine for the price.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
OK, no one bash me for what I'm about to write, but I'm throwing it out there just as an FYI; I have it on very good authority
icon_wink.gif
that you can easily ship a couple of bottles of wine at a time via UPS or FedEx into states like TN or UT that do not allow merchants to ship wine into their states. Now this would have to be a "person". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
icon_cool.gif
Larry, I was going to post this to Lance that I could send some to his wife for him. Here's my deal. I do not drink wine and my wife has since stopped drinking Red wine, only likes white now. So anyway I have about 12-15 bottles of different Reds mostly from Italy and abroad and some from the states that are in a box in my garage that I would be more than happy to send some of these to your wife for you Lance. In the box of stuff I mailed out to you today for you, is a letter with my email addy in there. Send me a email with your home addy and what you want the card to say and It's a done deal Bud.
icon_wink.gif

Bryan,
That is very kind of you to offer. I will send you an email when the box arrives. Given the speed of the other packages, it should be her in no time.
Lance

Back