Lamb Shoulder Chops

Paul R

TVWBB Fan
I was just gifted some lamb shoulder chops. I have done loin chops fast and hot to med-rare and love them. How do you cook lamb shoulder chops.

Paul

I either braise them start to finish, brown (on a grill or in a pan) then braise them, smoke then braise, or remove the meat from the bone first and do any of the above. (Sometimes I grind the meat as shoulder is great for grinding.)

Oh, my, yes.

A suggestion: Rub with the ras then either smoke for a little while or grill briefly. Meanwhile, make a flavorful reduction by putting cheap white wine in a pot along with a few tablespoons of minced dried apricots or currants and bringing the mixture to a boil then reducing by half. (If you have any preserved lemon mince a few tablespoon's worth and add it to the reduction after you remove it from the heat.)

When the meat is lightly smoked or grilled remove it. Lay one or more sheets of foil on the counter (depending on chop quantity) and top with a pile of thinly sliced onion and a little minced garlic. Lay the chops on the onion/garlic mix then drizzle with the wine reduction. You want a few tablespoons up to a bit over 1/4 cup per chop. Spoon some of the reconstituted minced fruit from the pot over each chop. Seal the foil at the top, bringing the crimp above the contents so that juiced in the foil and those formed during cooking will not leak out.

Return to the cooker and braise till tender.

Remove the meat carefully from the foil and pour all the remaining contents into your blender or processor. Blend briefly then add salt and ras to taste. Add a little honey. If you did not use preserved lemon add several drops of lemon juice. Add a little knob of butter. Blend again.

Rewarm the sauce if necessary and serve, or place the chops in the sauce, cool, then fridge. Reheat gently, just to serving temp, before serving.

Just a thought.

Just for reference, are we talking lamb loin chops or lamb shoulder that is cut across the bone into "chops"? I'm assuming we are basically talking about lamb shoulder.

You're right Ray.Bone in shoulder chops. After thinking about it,and comparing them to pork shoulder chops, braising sounds perfect. You have all that connective tissue and flavor from the bone.Not too sure of how long on the braise but i am thinking a couple of hours should do it.
I'll post my results after the weekend.

Paul

Exactly. I've done lamb shoulder before indoors and on the WSM but never cut into "chops" is all. I have actually cubed it and used it in and Indian style dish. It was a Tyler Florence recipe and was quite good IMHO:

Lamb Curry

Really like it. As much or more than pork butt, except it's a bit more expensive.

The chops came out great as expected. They were cut thick (about 1 1/2 to 2" i would say) and the weather was nice out so i braised them almost three hours. I was light on the reduction and the onions, and the meat did not give up a lot of moisture.
I have another pack in the freezer, so i will add more onions and wine next time.
Thanks for the curry link Ray

Paul

Back