weber kettle rotissiere worth it ?

It's pricey (what new Weber product isn't) but it makes some great chicken and I believe the best pork loin I've had off my kettle was rotissed. Plus it's just fun to set up and use.
icon_smile.gif
I'd buy it again...

I like mine. Get a USDA Choice bone-in rib roast, stuff with fresh garlic, spear it, grill indirect on rotissirie, baste with garlic butter once or twice (optional), cook until rare (or med rare for the faint of heart), season...mmmmm

A rotisserie allows juices to roll around the meat as it cooks. It still drips, but it bastes itself and makes a great outer layer.

if you can find one on cl or so for sure get it. it turns out great food. the other week i did a 12 lb turkey on the rotis and it was good eats. whart are you cooking on/in ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neil Grant:
is it worth it or is it for lazy people who don't want to bother periodcially rotating the meat themselves? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The energy you save in "not flipping" is more than made up for by the increased number of times you have to check the temp. (You can't leave a probe in it.)

Yes, totally worth it; however, the Weber one takes some simple mods if you want good temperature control.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Solak:
I'm really glad I have a rotisserie. I hardly buy lunch meat anymore since I got it. I would look into the one C&C grilling makes, it seems to fit alot better than the Weber one does. With the Weber ring I have to put aluminum foil to fill in the gap between the ring and the kettle.

http://shop.cajunbandit.com/pr...ctId=12&categoryId=3 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did the aluminum foil thing for a long time. My life got a lot easier when I bought 6 bucks worth of 1/4 inch rope gasket and tied it around the bottom of the rotisserie piece below the brackets. It falls into place when I put the rotisserie ring on the grill with about 3 seconds worth of tucking. So much easier than fighting the foil. You might look into it if you use your rotisserie a lot.

I have the Cajun Bandit rotisserie and just used it for the first time this week. Made a pork rib roast, sprinkled with salt/pep/onion poweder/garlic powder and put it on the Performer. Excellent result. This will get a lot of use at my house.

The advantages I see to the Cajun Bandit are first it will fit both My performer any my WSM. Second it seems to fit better and appears that it would be much easier to modify to control the heat on the smoker.

I use a roti on an 18 in Webber. All the charcoal is on one side parallel to the roti.

the rest of the charcoal grate is sealed off with foil so that the only air flow is through the charcoal. Usually use only one vent on the bottom and use it to regulate the temperature at the lid vent to 350f to 380F. All my chickens are the same size. usually within 1 oz of 5lb. That way they cook consistently. Most of the time I just rub with olive oil and whatever rub or spice I want. It takes about 1 1/2 hrs to cook to perfection. I try not to open and close the lid more than onec or twice.

I have one on my 22" kettle and I think it was worth it just for leg of lamb. It's reasonably priced at Costco, it's super easy to do, and everybody's always overly impressed by it.

I'm speaking out of ignorance, since I don't have a rotisserie for my weber. That being said I have and have used a rotisserie on my chargriller offset. My opinion of a rotisserie is that it doesn't yield any different results than indirect(barbecuing) cooking. Just my opinion. Plus it is more of a pain to get it all counter weighted, tied up right(things like whole chicken), and dealing with setting it up over a hot fire. I'll stick with indirect.

It's really not that big of a deal to set up. The quality of the rotisserie makes a huge difference with this - how well does it hold the meat, is the motor powerful enough to turn everything even if the counterbalance isn't perfect, what's the design of the counterbalance. The Weber one is much easier to use than the one on my gasser, and even the hot coals aren't an issue - it's up pretty high on that ring and the coals are typically banked to the side.

I swear by it as one of my favorite BBQ grilling toys!! totally worth it and I highly encourage you to purchase it (i've owned three and currently have 1.5 (in the process ofconverting an old one). Chickens come out great. Check out steve raichlen's how to grill for a great rib recipe on the rotis.

For chicken or Turkey there is no better way to cook than the rotisserie. I love doing a rib roast on it...I can keep going but it is a great way to cook.

Now I may be hooked. I have rotis for the Genesis and it turns out stellar chickens. But the lure of rotis on the Performer may be too much to resist...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mark B:
Now I may be hooked. I have rotis for the Genesis and it turns out stellar chickens. But the lure of rotis on the Performer may be too much to resist... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Temptation

icon_biggrin.gif

Pork tenderloins
imagena.jpg

By hogsfan at 2010-11-27

baby backs
bbq02122009rotisbabybac0.jpg

By hogsfan at 2010-11-27

bbq02122009rotisbabybac.jpg

By hogsfan at 2010-11-27

2 baby backs

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I thought I had a picture of a prime rib, but I can't seem to find it.

Now you've done it Justin.

resistance.. is futile
icon_razz.gif

How do you like the EZ-Q ? I have seen some e-bay sources which indicate the original mfg is no longer operating. They are selling off remaining stock.

I love it. You can probably tell from the picture I've got the big and the small for the kettle. I actually have 2 for the gasser too. I know that sounds crazy, but I really like them and I think they'll last forever. As soon as I heard they were going out of business, I snapped them up.

It's sad that they went out of business because it's a great product. I love the fact that I can take the handle off and throw it in the dishwasher. Makes clean up a lot easier.

Back