Crocpot Butt?

Dave L.

TVWBB Pro
My wife just came home with a pork butt that weighs about 7lbs. Does anyone have a crocpot recipe for it. Can it be done in one?

I've cooked 4-lb pork butts in a crock pot. Makes good pulled pork, but of course, no smoke flavor. Just add a cup of water to the bottom of the crock pot, put your favorite rub on the butt and cook on low or high until the internal butt temperature reaches 195F. It takes about 4 to 6 hours to reach that internal temperature. Then pull pork and enjoy. I serve the pulled pork with home made BBQ sauce, coleslaw, etc.

I'm going to marinate it in a Sesame-Ginger liquid overnight that is in Steven Raichlen's cookbook so the smoke flavor is not an issue. I imagine the internal temp. will be the same.

Should I remove some of the fat first?

It's up to your preference. Personally I wouldn't but I enjoy the fat, even when it's excessive!

There is plenty of fat on the insides of the butt though that if you do trim it it will still be nice and moist.

So what is in the sesame ginger marinade, sounds interesting......

Clark

Clark, here is the recipe. It's originally made for lamb which I had and was delicious. I thought it would go good with pork.

2 Tbls. peeled, chopped ginger
4 cloves chopped garlic
1 bunch scallions, chopped
3/4 cup soy sauce
3/4 cup sake, Chinese rice wine, or dry sherry(I used vermouth)
1/2 cup Asian(dark)sesame oil
1 Tbls. sugar(I used splenda)
1/2 Tsp. black pepper
I marinaded it overnight and put it in a crocpot for eight hours on low. After I removed the meat from the bag, I reduced it on the stove and poured it on the lamb. YUM-YUM

I live in CT too, can I come over for lunch?
icon_wink.gif

Let us know how it turns out compared to WSM pulled pork!

Probably too late but what the hell. I do Crock Pot Carnitas. I don't measure so please forgive:

Beer
2 Jalapeños
1 onion sliced
cumin
adobo
chipolte powder
1 bay leaf
1 bunch of cilantro chopped

I throw it all in the Crock Pot and set her on low for 8 - 12 hours. Pull just like you would pulled pork, I mix some of the Crock Pot juices into the pulled meat, salt/pepper to taste, lay out on baking sheet and put in oven just long enough to crisp-up the top layer of the meat.

Serve with warm tortillas, white onion, cilantro, guacamole or sour cream, diced tomatoes and ice cold Mexican beer.

Great on a cold winter afternoon.

Well I did the butt in the crocpot this weekend and I think I screwed it up. Here's what I did. Let me know what I did wrong.

I put it in the sesame-ginger marinade Friday afternoon in a plastic bag, flipping every few hours before I went to bed. When I checked it on Saturday it was split in half. Put it in the crocpot on low at about noon time, six hours later it was at 125* internal. Turned it on high to cook faster. When I checked it two hours later it was 185* internal and still firm. I thought I overcooked it so I shut it off and put it in the frig to eat the next day. Sunday, I rewarmed it in the crocpot. It tasted good but it was still firm.

Do you think it was undercooked instead of overcooked. Should I have left it in to get an internal temp at about 195-200*? Any help would be great. I would like to try it again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">it was at 125* internal. Turned it on high to cook faster. When I checked it two hours later it was 185* internal and still firm. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave, I'm probably the wrong guy to speak to regarding temps as outside of butts in the WSM I don't go by temp. On my steaks, roasts, tris etc. I use the touch method. I did go by temp on my last brisket and I got screwed . . . fork tender test for me on briskets from here on out.

Anyway, what surprises me is that you jumped 60 degrees in just two hours . . . seems a bit fast. I know my crockpot butt is done when I grab the bone and the meat falls off on it cleanly. Or, on a boneless take two forks and while the butt is in the crockpot try and pull it apart. I take it you were aiming for "shredded" correct?

Don't know if this helps or not but my .02.

Oh and a side note, even though I don't go by temps, I did just put a thermapen on my Xmas list for the SO. Looks like a cool tool to have laying around the house.

Larry, I was surprised it jumped so fast. Your right, I was going for the meat to fall off the bone. That's why I think it was undercooked. Next time I'm going to keep it in until that happens (if it does). I was just a little nervous because I didn't want to ruin the meal. It was still good but I wanted to have fall off the bone meat. If anyone else has a thought let me know.

Half of the butt is still in the frig. Is it possible to put the butt back in the crocpot and heat it back up to 195-200* so it will pull.

Back