Tuna and salmon

Clark Deutscher

TVWBB All-Star
I was given some more tuna today. Normally I just grill it in a varity of ways. I have yellow fin and albacore. Just wondering if anyone smokes it though? If so what recipes do you use?

I was also given some sockeye salmon. I have smoked salmon numerous times but if anyone has any neat recipes or techniques on that I would love to hear from you. Thanks

Clark

Sushi/Sashimi for the tuna! (although I think some varieties are better than others for sushi, I don't know which they are). Seriously, if I had fresh tuna I would take it to a sushi restaurant and ask them what they could do with it. Probably wouldn't cost you much, and if it's good tuna the sushi chef would fall all over himself to work with it.
icon_smile.gif

For the salmon, have you ever tried cooking it en papillote? Looks super cool, is good, and very little clean up.

Thanks for the response Phil! I usually try to use Ahi for sushi. In the past I have done the yellow fin and Albacore on the kettle, seared and served medium rare with a variety of sauces. I plan on doing all the smoking next weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Clark

If the sockeye salmon is wild and very fresh, try dry curing, then cold smoking it. Sliced thin, served on a bagel with cream cheese, it is absolutely devine.

You can go in many directions, but here is a recipe from Charcuterie:

1.5 lbs salmon
125 g salt
50 g dark brown sugar
100 g sugar
1 t pink salt
1 t white pepper
1 t ground allspice
1 t ground bay leaf
1/2 t ground cloves
1/2 t ground mace
1.5 T rum

Adjust these proportionally if you have a different amount of salmon. Add pink salt if you have it (it isn't imperative so long as you don't cold smoke longer than 3-4 hours). Add other spices to the salt and sugar, put a layer in a non-reactive dish or pan, place the salmon skin side down. Sprinkle run on top and add remainder of dry cure mixture, with a little more in the thickest areas. Cover with plastic, place a weight on top, and refrigerate for 36 hours or until the salmon is firm in the thickest part.

When it is firm, rinse well to remove the cure, and place on a rack in the frig until it forms a pellicle (tacky surface) which takes about 4-8 hours or up to 24. Cold smoke for an hour or two, preferably with alder or other mild wood.

Charcuterie says to cold smoke for 6 hours, but I think that would be too much smoke. I do it for about 2 hours.

My redneck cold smoker is a piece of dryer vent coming from my smoky joe, connected to the WSM with a cardboard access door and a hole cut out the size of the dryer vent tube. Or when it is very cold outside, I freeze my clay saucer and a few fire bricks in the freezer, then light just a couple of briquettes and put the cold saucer in the water pan with cold fire bricks on top. Bowl of ice water goes on top of fire bricks. That will stay cold for about 90 minutes. You must keep your temp under 90 degrees when cold smoking so monitor the temp at the grate. If using the dryer vent, you can throw a wet towel on it with something to support the weight if it starts to heat up inside the second cooker.

Just noticed you posted several days ago, so probably too late, but do give this a try when you have great quality wild salmon.

Back