Fatty directions

Brian Sailers

TVWBB Member
I have seen a lot of different types of fatties, but how are you guys cooking them? Low and slow in a WSM or higher heat in a Kettle?

Hey Brian,

I am very new to this forum but I just cooked my first fatty last weekend. I cooked mine on my WSM at 250 for about 2 1/2 hours or so, just until the internal temp hit 160 and it turned out perfect. Hope this helps?

You can really do it either way, sausage is very versatile.

Cooking it high heat may tend to make your filling ooze out, if you have lots of cheese or other meltable contents.

I made a 3 lber last friday night THREE lbs of burger, 8 slices of "american" cheese, 16 oz of sharp cheddar shreded and 12 oz of sliced shrooms. Then I wrapped that bad boy in a bacon weave. Cooked at 250 on the wsm for close to 4 hrs with applewood smoke. The hamburg was at 180 when I pulled it. I had to let it cook an extra hour and a half to let the bacon get done. The hamburg wasn't dry at all I think the grease from the bacon helps keep it moist. It was the best of the 4 fattys I've made so far.

yeah if you're gonna do the bacon weave on the outside it will be served much better at higher temps. It's tough to render bacon fat at 250.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave from Denver:
yeah if you're gonna do the bacon weave on the outside it will be served much better at higher temps. It's tough to render bacon fat at 250. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is a good temp to shoot for if you do the bacon weave? 350 or so?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave from Denver:
yeah if you're gonna do the bacon weave on the outside it will be served much better at higher temps. It's tough to render bacon fat at 250. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've done two bacon weave fatty cooks at 225 - 250 for about 3 hours and the bacon was awesome. You don't want to cook it down too much. I hate that bacon that my mother in law makes that turns to dust when you bite it.
icon_eek.gif

Back