substitute for worcestershire sauce

Pinny

TVWBB Super Fan
Hey,

I really wanna try roadside chicken but it has worcestershire sauce in it and as part of my kosher dietary restrictions I don't eat fish products with meat. Does anyone have idea of something I could substitute that's fish and (of course dairy free)?

Thanks so much!
Pinny

That's a tough one. I think that you're after something that will compliment/add to the original recipe, but not necessarily be a clone (which without the anchovy, would be hard to do). Worcestershire sauce, depending on the manufacturer, is somewhat complex and composed of many ingredients. Tamarind is one of the key flavors, but many people don't have tamarind in the house. You might try a combination of soy sauce, lemon juice and a little hot pepper sauce (Tabasco, etc.) Other common ingredients you could add are molasses, vinegar, onion/shallot and sugar. Mix and match until you come up with something that tastes good, and then add it to the rest of the Roadside recipe.

Pinny,

I didn't want to take over the RS forum so I found your old post about this. The main question is how observant are you with keeping Kosher. I have researched some kosher substitutes online but have found that many Worchester sauces now use trace amounts of actual anchovies just to be able to place it on the ingredient list and these may be acceptable. I have found some links here and here that give good descriptions on what types and how they should be properly labeled may be considered acceptable to still keep Kosher for your use. I hope this helps because the RS Chicken is a great recipe. If I missed the boat sorry but i gave it a shot.

Soy sauce mixed with a bit of ketchup and brown sugar? The flavor won't be as deep, but should work.

Woostie sauce is based on fremented fish (now anchovies), with water, raisin concentrate and tamarind paste, amongst others.

You could use soy with raisin paste and tamarind concentrate if you have those.

KevinJ, I'm very careful about kosher, but you're post is right on the money. In fact, the link Rita posted is a product that would be fine for me, based on the articles you linked.

The remaining issue, is that I can't get it locally - I have to order it online. Not so convenient. Still, it's a fine solution.

Jay, I may try that tonight, while waiting for the real (in a sense) stuff to arive.

Thanks everyone!

hot dog! my friend coming up from new york tonight found me some of that kosher worcerstershire sauce. RSC tonight baby!

I purchased a block of tamarind pulp to play with and was surprised at how close straight pulp was to a product like lea and perrins. I'll bet you could get about 90% of the way to worcestershire flavor with just tamarind, vinegar and molasses.

I tried to make my own worchestershire (with anchovy) from scratch and any ingredient other that those three seemed out of place (i.e lime).

Worcestershire IS the dominant taste in roadside chicken IMO. I'm not sure it's a worthwhile recipe to try if you're going to use a substitute. I would look for another recipe.

Back