Cayenne or Chipotle in a Butt Rub

Jeff Boudman

TVWBB Wizard
I've been using Cayenne forever and have enjoyed it. I see that Mccormick has a chipotle now (probably been available for a while)and was thinking of substituting it in a butt rub. Does anyone who tried the chipotle prefer it to cayenne? I know there is a big difference in Scoville Units - I'm asking about flavor.
It's not a big deal, but I have guests coming for the 4th. who may prefer less heat.
Thanks!

To me...
Cayenne, a bit of heat, little flavor.
Chipotle, different heat, MUCH more flavor.
If that translates into McCormick's products is yet to be seen but I would absolutely give it a try.

Jeff, chipotle gives a subtle heat. I've even used it in mayonnaise on BLT sandwiches. Of course use it in moderation. A little goes a looooong way especially if the people you are serving can't tolerate heat.
icon_eek.gif

Marc is right about the Cayenne. It's all heat and no flavor. Something else to consider is that Chipotle pepper is already smoked so maybe try experimenting with different chiles that aren't. Try subbing out the Cayenne with Ancho, Guajillo or Aleppo or a combination of different peppers. It'll give you something new to play experiment with.

Another option for subtle heat is Hungarian Paprika. I use that frequently though I have started using more Cayenne as SWMBO and I enjoy a bit more heat in our food.

It's hard for me to compare the flavors without doing a side by side test. I'm more a "Wow this tastes good!" kind of guy rather than a discriminating connoisseur.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Something else to consider is that Chipotle pepper is already smoked so maybe try experimenting with different chiles that aren't. Try subbing out the Cayenne with Ancho, Guajillo or Aleppo or a combination of different peppers. It'll give you something new to play experiment with. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Agreed. And there are several other chilies that are worthwhile as well. I use chipotle for grilling - when the time on the grill will be too short for the food to take on much in the way of smoke (I use smoked paprika as well, in the same way, when I am looking for smoke flavor but no heat).

Me, I never use paprika in rubs for barbecue at all. Imo, it does not stand up to long dry cooking at all. Its rather subtle flavor craps out early and it becomes bitter.

I only rarely use cayenne for the reason stated upthread. Heat, yes, but no flavor. There are too many chilies with both so I choose one of them or, usually, a combination. See here.

For decreasing heat but increasing flavor try a flavorful chile - like ancho or pasilla.

Outside of adding quick high heat in recipes the only place I really use cayenne anymore is on ham & cheese sandwiches. May sound strange but it gives the blandish ham taste a nice kick especially when paired with a strong cheese.

Try chipotle in egg based dishes or even desserts where you use cinnamon/nutmeg. Chipotle french toast is great morning after food if the spices are applied to taste.

Back