Smoking Bacon & Bird Watching

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
My 6 lb. slab of belly finished curing yesterday, time to smoke it.
IMGP7154.JPG

IMGP7156.JPG

Blue smoke for a Blue Jay visit.
IMGP7159.JPG

I guess I get my love of bird watching from my late mother.
She liked to call woodpeckers peckerwoods.
IMGP7162.JPG

Hang in there, I'll get back to the bacon.
IMGP7163.JPG

After 3.5 hrs. of futzing to keep a 150 hood temp it was time to hit the oven and make the kitchen smell like a smokehouse.
IMGP7177.JPG

IMGP7181.JPG

Breakfast this morning.
IMGP7184.JPG

IMGP7193.JPG

If I close my eyes I can see Mom at the stove making breakfast, with the smell of smoked bacon filling the air.

Thanks for the visit!

Outstanding Photography Bob!
The Bacon...
<span class="ev_code_WHITE">.....</span>The Birds...
<span class="ev_code_WHITE">..........</span>The Breakfast...

PERFECT!!!

The color of that bacon is just ART! Looks fantastic B0B!!!! Cool looking birds you have over there. In Sweden we have black/white and grey!?
icon_rolleyes.gif
And still we have a lot of bird spotters...Standing in the rain with a binocular and cheering when they se a flying grey spot.(thats what i think they do anyway)

Have a great Weekend Bob.

Great pics Bob. Your mom and I must have been alot alike......my wife is always teasing me because I call em' peckerwoods myself.

We have 6 bird feeders and about 12 squirrel feeders in our yard. Birds nest in our screened porch, and we have a squirrel that comes in and gets some corn that we leave for him. We use hanging birdbaths as watering stations for the racoons, squirrels, deer, and whatever else needs a drink. The deer snort at us when we go out back at night. Rhonda and I live as one with nature.......we have a pet squirrel, our third since 1995, and they are the most amazing pets.

Anyhow, love your pics, and the food looks amazing. Sorry to jack your thread.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stefan B:
Stunning photos all around Bob!
e-2thumbsup.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, yep, Yes-sir-ie you.

Great stuff!!!
Out west, we get plenty of scrub jays and stellar jays, but I can't remember ever seeing a jay as striking as that one. Well done
icon_smile.gif

You all are too kind, thanks for your comments!

Branon,
This belly came from the half hog we bought last year.
Most butcher shops can get them for you, but they don't come cheap.

Excellent post Bob! That second pic is definitely suitable for framing.

Question about your bacon: why finish in the oven if you already have the grill up to temp? I've never quite understood that.

Hey Bob, excellent pictures and post as always. Note to self - don't look at great smoked bacon pictures before breakfast ... especially when breakfast is grapefruit and oatmeal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Question about your bacon: why finish in the oven if you already have the grill up to temp? I've never quite understood that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jon,
I was shooting for at least 145 on the bacon and it seemed hung up at 100.
It had all the smoke needed, so it was much easier to finish in a 170 oven than to keep trying to maintain the kettle temp in 30 degree weather.

Bob,it goes without saying that your bacon looks amazing...

Can you tell us a bit about your camera setup for those shots?

The bokeh is like butter that Jim Lampe puts under his potatoes in his CI pan!

Back