Commercial Meat Slicer

M D Baldwin

TVWBB Super Fan
Many time when we do Brisket for a party I end up doing 2 or 3 full size packers. After a bit of carving the thickness of the slices become varied. So after some though my wife got me a commercial deli style slicer and WOW what a difference.
You can spend over $2000 on one but the one i picked up was about $400 and wirth every penny. After letting the brisket rest, I quarter it, set the thickness, and off to the races-perfect slices. But a couple of things to remember. First of all, clean it up as soon as you are done slicing, dried rub and bark are like concrete on the metal. Also DO NOT consume any alcohol before slicing it! Concentrate fully on what you are doing and you will still have 10 finers and a great meal.

MD - which model did you get? How wide a piece can it work with? Thinking about something like bacon where you can have relatively long cuts. Been looking at slicers for awhile, so just curious which one you are referring to so I can take a look.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
MD - which model did you get? How wide a piece can it work with? Thinking about something like bacon where you can have relatively long cuts. Been looking at slicers for awhile, so just curious which one you are referring to so I can take a look. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ray, If your patient, you can get a deal on Ebay, but it could/can take awhile. I think it took me about 3 months to score my Globe 12" slicer for cheap.
icon_wink.gif

Slicer004.jpg

Hey Bryan - yes I remember these from a previous thread. I have been watching. But I am also cramped for space and interested in other options as well? I would love to have a slicer like that one you picture though! If I come home with a commercial slicer like that one - I may have to "sleep with it"
icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
MD - which model did you get? How wide a piece can it work with? Thinking about something like bacon where you can have relatively long cuts. Been looking at slicers for awhile, so just curious which one you are referring to so I can take a look. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ray, If your patient, you can get a deal on Ebay, but it could/can take awhile. I think it took me about 3 months to score my Globe 12" slicer for cheap.
icon_wink.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So what would you consider to be a good (or cheap) price on a Globe 12" slicer?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Todd D.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
icon_wink.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So what would you consider to be a good (or cheap) price on a Globe 12" slicer? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That one in the pic I got for $153.00 delivered to my door. It's a 1950's model 54 IIRC and took $75.00 in parts to get the thickness dial working again needed a new gear assmebly (because I broke the one that was on it trying to get it unstuck), and new sharpening stones for it.

If you are in a large metropolitan area, keep an eye out for auctions or sales of restaurants that are closing and going out of business. You can often get stuff for pennies on the dollar that way.

My problem is the size of the commercial units are so big. Creates storage issues for me. But that also seems like the only way to get decent cutting capacity (length or width of cut).

Back