Meat Slicer

Nice! I really need to get one of these. I'd be interested hearing how she does for you.

Good luck with it, Toby. It looks easier to clean than my Waring Pro. The cleaning, smaller size of the blade and the slow cutting speed were my issues with my old slicer which drove me to this larger model.

Now, smoke that eye of round !!
icon_cool.gif

Bill
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Toby - I've been looking at that model and the collapsible one from Chef's Choice. Let us know how it works for you? I'd be interested to know how wide a piece of meet will fit in the carriage, etc or if that creates any problem.

Originally posted by r benash:
Toby - I've been looking at that model and the collapsible one from Chef's Choice. Let us know how it works for you? I'd be interested to know how wide a piece of meet will fit in the carriage, etc or if that creates any problem.

Hi Ray, I'll definitely let you know, just trying to find time to smoke something that I can slice, work has been nuts. I may end up just buying something from the deli so I can test it out. Will let you know.

So Ray, this weekend I smoked an eye of the round for sandwiches and the slicer worked great. I cut the eye of the round in half then started slicing. Take a look at my posting in BBQ section.

Yeah - saw the post. Nice looking sammies dude. AFA the eye slicing. When I look at the pic you show it cut. Did you take one of those halves and load it cut face down on the table? If so that's a pretty nice width for that slicer to handle. Not bad I'd say.

Yeah - saw the post. Nice looking sammies dude. AFA the eye slicing. When I look at the pic you show it cut. Did you take one of those halves and load it cut face down on the table? If so that's a pretty nice width for that slicer to handle. Not bad I'd say.

Yup that's exactly what I did.

Any feedback on using this slicer for buckboard bacon? Planning on doing up 4 pork butts for buckboard bacon and would love to use something like this instead of my Forschner granton slicer. It's a great knife, but hand slicing 4 butts is a long process, and difficult to keep consistent slices. Would probably also want to use it to slice meat for jerky, and possibly slice briskets with it. Would appreciate any opinions on those tasks. The price point is certainly easier to swallow than the cost on a used Hobart or Global slicer.

Is it worth the money to buy a granton edged slicer vs. a smooth edged? The granton edged forschner is almost twice as expensive.

Originally posted by Frank S:
Is it worth the money to buy a granton edged slicer vs. a smooth edged? The granton edged forschner is almost twice as expensive.
IMO, yes. If you are talking about the 14" ham slicer verses the 14" hollow edge Granton slicer, there's more difference in those knives than just the granton edge. The blade is not as tall on the ham slicer as on the graton edge slicer knife. Not sure where you priced it at, but here's where i bought mine several years ago. I love this knife.
icon_wink.gif
Link to 14" Granton Edge slicer.
Frank, not sure if you saw this but here's a thread on the Granton Forschner slicer.

I bought a Rival Slicer model 1030V back in the '80s (long before I got into smoking meat) for around $100, stupidly believing that it would last a lifetime. Now the blade is dull--don't know how it can be sharpened--and replacement parts for it seem impossible to find except for buying the whole thing on ebay--for $100 new.

Is there any way to sharpened the serrated blade?

Tom, many kitchenware shops have a knife-sharpening service. The one I use here in Atlanta will sharpen slicer blades too. You might check your local yellow pages for sharpening services. They usually sharpen a wide range of things besides knives.

An aside: The sharpening service here is owned by a very nice gentleman named Jeff Edges....how about that?
icon_smile.gif

Rita

That is NEAT, Rita. Jeff must come from a long, long, long, long line of sharpening people! Thanks for the info. I might have a place located nearby, but I'll keep Mr. Edges in mind as I have a friend who frequently comes to Atlanta.

It is amazing what kinds of foods open up to you when you get a slicer. I purchased a nice hunk of coppa when I was in pittsburgh, brought it home and tossed it on the slicer when ever I needed a small portion. I ended up finding about a half a dozen applications for that little piece of dried meat, that I never would have if I just got a bit pre-sliced.

I'm hoping, now that I have the slicer, I'll be able to make my own coppa, bresaola, and possibly mojama.

I actually do own (well loan) a hobart streamliner (not the best pic), and the great thing is that it has a stone that attaches to the depth plate, which allows you to sharpen the blade by turning the slicer on and swinging the depth one way then the other, quite ingenious, and it lets you quickly sharpen it before every use.
IMG_1183.jpg

Nice slicer, makes mine look like a little toy one!

thanks, I love it. The downside is that it weighs a ton, luckily it has a permanent home on a counter top in my basement. My house came with a darkroom, which I was slowly acquiring things for when everything went digital and kodak dropped their chemistry-base photography. About a month ago, I cleaned the room out and made it into a pantry/bbq supply/sausage stuffing/meat slicing head quarters. It's one of the reasons the hobart is in my possession, it was buried in my in-laws basement. At my house, its always ready to go.

Cool j, you have the same slicer I do, a Hobart model 410. Mine came out of a school system in rural Georgia where they apparently didn't use it much as the blade was perfect and new diameter (hadn't been sharpened) Needed a good cleaning and relube of the transmission and it runs like new.

Cool j, you have the same slicer I do, a Hobart model 410. Mine came out of a school system in rural Georgia where they apparently didn't use it much as the blade was perfect and new diameter (hadn't been sharpened) Needed a good cleaning and relube of the transmission and it runs like new.

that's funny, this one came out of a school cafeteria too!

I haven't had it long, if you don't mind, could you fill me in on lubing the transmission?

Back