Quesadillas

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
ok, quesadilla help please. I have used thin sliced chicken, onion and cheese between two flour tortillas toasted in a cast iron skillet. What do you all like to do. I am a rookie at this.

You need to fry with some type of cooking oil. I use a canola oil spray. Spray lightly on each side and cook on cast iron skillet until slightly browned on the high points of the steam bubbles that form on the flour tortillas. Make sure you start out with cooked chicken. You would burn the tortillas before raw chicken cooked inside of them.

In Poultry Recipes, I've posted the Chicken and Cheese Quesadilla recipe from the 2006 edition of America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook.

Chicken and Cheese Quesadilla recipe - from America's Test Kitchen

Rusty

Steve, we like grilled or quickly sauteed veggies in ours - zucchini, onion, peppers, eggplant, fennel, artichokes, asparagus, broccoli, corn, mushrooms (incl. portobellos), summer squash and tomatoes (dried &/or grilled). Also good is leftover tri-tip, steak, chicken, pork, cut into thin strips, shrimp (although I don't care much for seafood with cheese), salmon flakes, slices of jalapenos, a little salsa (we're partial to Muir Glen Organic Cilantro-Lime Salsa). I like cilantro, so usually add that too, + or - other herbs & seasonings.

Almost anything you like. Google for interesting combos too.
Have fun!
Rita

Smoked chicken, smoked turkey, smoked salmon or smoked cheese are some other delicious ingredients that can be added to quesadillas.

Rusty

Steve,

I like to grill them! Use a large tortilla and fold it in half with your ingredients. Makes it easier to flip.

Did some as appetizers at a dinner party a while back with just cheese, salsa verde and onion. Couldn't make them fast enough!!!

JimT

Steve, grilling is my favorite way to make quesadillas too. Yes, leftover smoked meats are great on quesadillas.

Rita

Good one today:

pulled pork
sun dried tomatoes
mozzarella
brie

just zapped in micro then toasted in cast iron skillet

What a treat something simple can be!

I fry some onions real slow, till golden brown. Then I add some thawed Fajita chicken (from the frozen section) to the onions. I set it aside.
I put olive oil in the pan, some Bouquet Garni (Penzey's) then put a tortilla in to brown a little. I make a few of these at a time.
Then put in the tortilla one at a time adding the meat onion mixture and some cheese. Fold it in half leave till browned then flip it over.
Serve with your preference of toppings.

Back