Pizza on the OTG (pics)

Don Cash

TVWBB Gold Member
I've done many pies on my gasser. Thought I'd try it on the kettle...Glad I did it was the best we've ever made.

This is the stone (the link is to a newer one) that I was given a while back as a gift...It's for a gasser but fits perfectly on the 22.5" kettles

Charcoal setup.

Stone preheating.

The kettle is perfect.

Pepperoni & cheese.

On the stone.

Done.

Pepperoni, Anchovy and cheese.

Done.

Plated.

I used 4 matchbox sized oak chips. Made all the difference in the world. Simply amazing.

wsmsmile8gm.gif

WOW! Maybe I should say it again... WOW!!
I need to try that! The charcoal set up was very instructional for me, thanks for sharing!

Thanks for sharing that Don, it's something I've been wanting to try on the Performer for quite a while but wasn't sure on the set up of the coals.
By not putting any in the centre,is that to stop the stone from getting too hot and burning the area where the pizza goes?
You get good even heat all round with this coals set up?
and finally, how many pizzas you think you'd be able to cook before needing to replenish the coals?
I've never seen the square pizza stones here in Australia but theres plenty of round ones.

Thanks in advance...man..it's only 10.15am here in sydney Au and I already feel like a pizza...how crazy is that!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers

Davo

Originally posted by Davo:
By not putting any in the centre,is that to stop the stone from getting too hot and burning the area where the pizza goes?...You get good even heat all round with this coals set up?

how many pizzas you think you'd be able to cook before needing to replenish the coals?

This was a first for me as I'd never done a pizza on the kettle before. When using this stone on a gas grill the preheating procedure (per the instructions) is to turn all burners on high for 20 minutes then turn off the burner(s) directly under the stone when you put on the pizza. I just kind of thought this set up would mimic that. I think that once the stone is hot it stays hot so there is no need to have coals (heat) underneath it. The kettle stayed a steady 500* the whole cook. All the "extra" heat from the ring of coals bounces off the top of the kettle to cook the toppings. The hot stone cooks the crust.

I did 2 pizzas and they were on about 12 minutes each (this was after I let the stone preheat for a 1/2 an hour). I'd say I had at least another 1/2 an hour of 500* heat..so, at least another 2 pies, 4 total before having to replenish coals...could be wrong about that though.

Good luck!

Is that more than a chimney's worth of briquettes? The last time I did this I recall not being able to achieve high temps. Perhaps I should have used more charcoal, but on the other hand, the vents can only provide so much oxygen regardless of how much fuel you have.

I guess it's best to have your pizzas ready to go as the kettle reaches and retains peak temperature however long that may be as it may not be practical to be replenishing charcoal on this particular setup.

Originally posted by George L:
Is that more than a chimney's worth of briquettes? The last time I did this I recall not being able to achieve high temps. Perhaps I should have used more charcoal, but on the other hand, the vents can only provide so much oxygen regardless of how much fuel you have.

I guess it's best to have your pizzas ready to go as the kettle reaches and retains peak temperature however long that may be as it may not be practical to be replenishing charcoal on this particular setup.

Yes, I used one, full chimney. In picture 1 you'll see a thermometer on the frame of the stone. It just barely touches the kettle lid when on the cooking grate. I could push the lid all the way down onto the bowl or I could rest the lid on the thermometer and it left a 1/4" crack between the lid and bowl. I left it cracked during the preheating period and this allowed my temps to get up to 500+. I had it all the way down onto the bowl when the pizzas were on.

As far as adding fuel, if I was doing more than two pizzas I'd put a single layer of unlit around the ring and then put the lit, full chimney on top of that. I'd imaging that would give you at least another 45 minutes or so of 500* cooking temps.

Great lookig pizza Don!

Do you think just a plain stone would work as well? I've done pizzas directly on the grill, but would like to try the stone. I have one in our oven and was thinking I could just put that on the grill.

Tom

That looks like some seriously awesome pizza. I've been making some directly on the grill (on my gasser), which has been pretty good. But yours look more legitimate.

Do you buy the dough, then roll it out? Or do you make the dough yourself?

Kudos.

Don your pizza's look awesome, great job. Now I know a lot of folks don't care for anchovies on their pizza's but I'm not one of them. I'd eat the Pepperoni, Anchovy and cheese one all by myself with a sprinkle of red pepper flakes. Oh and a cold beer of course.

Originally posted by G Dechaine:
Do you buy the dough, then roll it out? Or do you make the dough yourself?

Thanks, G!.

I have made my own before but there is a local grocery chain (Ukrops) that sells really good pizza dough balls for $3.00. Each ball makes 2 pies. $1.50/pie and I don't make my own any more.

Give the kettle a try...the pizza is so much better than on the gasser.

wsmsmile8gm.gif

Originally posted by Toby Keil:
Now I know a lot of folks don't care for anchovies on their pizza's but I'm not one of them. I'd eat the Pepperoni, Anchovy and cheese one all by myself with a sprinkle of red pepper flakes. Oh and a cold beer of course.

I started getting anchovy pizzas back in college. It was the only way I could ensure leftovers for breakfast. Any other type of pizza always seemed to "disappear" in the middle of the night...and my 4 roommates never saw anyone take it.

Now, anchovy pizza is my absolute favorite...Oh and a cold beer of course, too.

icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Anthony W.:
Hi Don, do you think the cook would work with lump as 12 minutes is such a short time.
Hey Anthony. I've never used lump because I can't seem to find any other than Cowboy so I don't know for sure. My opinion is that lump would work better than K because it burns so much hotter. Don't brick pizza ovens get to well over the 500 degrees I am able to get on the kettle? Since this cook I've done many pizzas, each cook taking different times. I did a few on New Years eve and I think they were on the grill for over 20 minutes each. I check them every few minutes and pull them when things get all bubbly on top and don't cook them to a specific time.

Only one way to find out...Good luck and post some pics.

HI Don, when you preheat the stone and put the cold pizza on, does it not crack? I did that to mine on the WSM a while back, I haven't made pizza since.

Dave,

Not to steal an answer here, but it's best to let your dough almost come to room temp. It's more workable then and will help prevent the cracking from happening.

Don that pizza looks awesome!!!

I always wanted to cook a pizza on my Performer, but I wasn't sure if it would work. I am going to try one this weekend.

Thanks for posting the pictures, and they really helped me to understand how to do this.

Back