Ribs without flavour

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Two racks of baby backs, one rubbed with Penzey's 33rd & Galena, the other with Penzey's Arizona Dreaming. Both saltfree rubs.
DSCN8092.JPG

DSCN8093.JPG

The rack with the small skewer is the 33rd & Galena.
DSCN8094.JPG

The dome temp was a nice steady 245ºF. Cook these ribs like I always do. Foiled empty water pan.
near the end of the cook, 4.5 hours later, i placed a 11" CIS of mini sweet peppers directly on the charcoal.
DSCN8096.JPG

DSCN8098.JPG

Not long later, they were roasted/toasted...
DSCN8099.JPG

DSCN8103.JPG

Sauce was then applied to the ribs...
DSCN8101.JPG

Rufus Teague to the 33rd & Galena ribs and Head Country to the Arizona Dreaming Ribs.
DSCN8102.JPG

The Teague / 33rd ribs busted up...
DSCN8104.JPG

Plated with leftover ruta-carrot-tater mash and broc-trees.
DSCN8107.JPG

DSCN8106.JPG

DSCN8108.JPG

I thought the ribs lacked any flavour whatsoever. Liz said they were good as usual. I say the sauce saved them.
I've used saltfree rubs before and things were fine.. so I don't know what happened here.
Probably my shot tastebuds?

Anyway, thanks for stoppin' by!

Jim,nice pictorial! Could the culprit be the meat?
Burned out taste buds? Maybe, but unlikely. Especially from a cook like you.
Happy SB!
Mark

thanks Mark
icon_smile.gif

I thought of the meat, butt i do not like to push blame. The only thing i did different from my other rib cooks is this time, i seasoned the ribs just before i put them on the WSM.
I'm sure that had zero to do with it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">i seasoned the ribs just before i put them on the WSM.I'm sure that had zero to do with it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Agreed.

Imo, salt is essential. Even just a little.

Agreed.

Imo, salt is essential. Even just a little.

Kevin

I'm with Kevin on this one. You have to use a little salt. Did you salt after they were cooked?

But everything looks great especially those little peppers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">i seasoned the ribs just before i put them on the WSM.I'm sure that had zero to do with it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Agreed.

Imo, salt is essential. Even just a little. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yup. You need to add a little of your own salt to the meat before the salt-free rubs. But Jim, honestly , I've never seen you post anything that didn't look just delicious.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Did you salt after they were cooked? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Nope.
That's gotta be it. Thanks guys!

Outstanding looking ribs mate! Really dig the way you cooked those peppers. Never had "Rotmos" with ribs..But i bet it works great. Guess i have to surprise Emilie with a pot of mash and some ribs this week
icon_smile.gif

At least they look great!!! If you would have kept you mouth shut we would have been none the wiser, thanks for the honesty!!

Beautiful ribs Jim!

I guess the 'no salt' was the problem, but it seems to me that they would have just tasted like they need salt.

Jo Anne likes food saltier than I do, but she adds a salt substitute to what I cook if she needs more.

Back