Smoking Wood in Florida

Ed McKinney

I love to try different types of wood to smoke and noticed a lot of people use apple wood. I've never used apple wood but would like to try it. Most on-line resources charge as much for shipping as they do the wood. Does anyone have any ideas where I can get apple wood at a reasonable price near Tampa, Florida?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed McKinney:
I love to try different types of wood to smoke and noticed a lot of people use apple wood. I've never used apple wood but would like to try it. Most on-line resources charge as much for shipping as they do the wood. Does anyone have any ideas where I can get apple wood at a reasonable price near Tampa, Florida? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ed,

The only local sources I have found are some of the large outdoor world stores like Bass Proshop or Gander Mtn., but you’re most likely going to find wood chips. You may want to look at some of your local restaurant supply for cooking woods. One option we have here in FL is citrus. I personally have not yet tried it, but other have and like it. When my stockpile runs down I will give it a whirl.

Good luck.

Gary

For apple/pecan/peach I have ordered it from a couple of sites. The last order was from CharlieChucksFruitwood. The prices were fair, and the shipping wasn't too bad. I am almost out of peach and pecan, so I will need to get some soon. I am also mixing citrus with pecan, and have been pleased. I removed a Navel Orange tree earlier this year, and saved the usable pieces for use in the WSM.

If you are getting apple, try some peach also. I was using a peach/pecan mixture fairly often.

Rick

Back