easiest way to go waterless

Todd Randall

TVWBB Pro
Has there ever been a survey of people's opinions on the easiest / cheapest way to go waterless? I've read about all the different mechanisims people have used, clay pot, pizza stone, sand, piedmont, foil balls, etc.

Has there ever been any concensus on which method is working the best, is most flexible, easiest / cheapest to do, etc?

I'd like to try it and get used to cooking without water, but I'm overwelmed with the options available. Is there just one way I should concentrate on learning?

Thanks,
Todd

Hey Todd, regarding the cheapest waterless mod., I'd have to say foil balls. However, a clay saucer is pretty affordable too - $5 - $6. My experience is limited to the clay saucer; for my needs I'm very satisfied with this method and recommend it. Greater fuel economy (and I don't mean I'm saving money on fuel, I mean longer cooks without adding fuel), easy temp control, no spikes and most important to me, easy clean-up. One tip. I use a 12" when I'm using the bottom grate and a 14" when I'm using only the top grate. Using the 12" allows for greater air flow when using your bottom grate.

Trying to get a consensus on which method is best is going to be like getting a parent to tell you which child they favor. I think what it's going to come down is which method makes the most sense for you and your needs. You'll get many opinions and all will be valid and valuable. Take all the info and determine which works best for you.

Good luck!

I've only tried sand - so that must be the best!
icon_biggrin.gif

Sand, foil balls or the clay saucer would have to be a few of the easiest to try. Then if you like it and it's working for you, you could figure out how far you want to take it.

I've tried the 12" clay pot base. Works like a charm. With double-wrapped foil, very easy clean up. Once piece and smooth, easy to handle and no sharp edges to poke holes in foil. Cheap and reusable. I would recommend this method. No water or sand to spill.

I already had a Brinkmann pan left over from an old smoker I trashed, so I did the Piedmont pan mod, with the WSM pan on top. Free is always good.
icon_biggrin.gif
It works very well, also.

I don't know which one is best per se. I have tried the piedmont pan and am happy with it. The 2 pans and screws were about $12 so not bad. I think the I think the clay pot would be a bit cheaper though.

I have been meaning to pick up the clay pot just don't think of it when at lowes. The only thing that I wonder about the clay pot mod is the amount of grease it will hold. I don't do much of just one butt or brisket anymore. It just seems like the piedmont pan is deeper and therefore can hold more fat. I don't know it may be nothing. I just have to get one and try it out. Thermally I would think the clay pot would be a better choice though.

I keep wondering about an original WSM pan foiled and then put into a brinkman pan - wonder if that would work.

I guess I should just try it - easy enough to do
icon_wink.gif

I love to add rubs and other stuff to a wet pan,I have used the sand pan and love it. The foil over a dry pan works fine. I did try something , and I do like it, turn the Weber water pan up-side -down. The temps hold very well,much better than I thought they would. Has anyone done this?

Rick

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Pruitt:
I love to add rubs and other stuff to a wet pan,I have used the sand pan and love it. The foil over a dry pan works fine. I did try something , and I do like it, turn the Weber water pan up-side -down. The temps hold very well,much better than I thought they would. Has anyone done this?

Rick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
What about all the grease that renders out of what you're cooking? Where does it go?

They go to the bottom and make a mess just like you get in a grill.It is not as hard to clean up as it looks if you dont let it go . It will miss most of the hot coals so I did not have a grease fire but you will have the grill flavor with all the things we like about slow smoking. To me it did add to my chicken and ribs.

Rick

The best method is a matter of opinion. Easy is just putting a sheet of wide HD foil about a inch off the bottom of the water pan and your good to go. I've been doing it for several years like that and never had any problems using that method.

The pizza stone mod...is that where you just take the right sized pizza stone, wrap the whole thing in tin foil, and set it on the water pan supports?

Or do you put the water pan in first and lay the stone over top?

Or do you get a stone sized correctly to fit halfway into the brinkman water pan so that it:

1. creates the air baffel half way below it and
2. still allows fat drippings to be caught properly up top?

Thanks to you all for all the suggestions, info, and opinions.

Todd

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rich langer:
I keep wondering about an original WSM pan foiled and then put into a brinkman pan - wonder if that would work.

I guess I should just try it - easy enough to do
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have done this for quite a while and it works very well IMO. Saturday I put a flower pot base inside the original water pan and foiled. Took a little longer to come up to temp, but was very stable once it got there.

George

I tried the terra cotta pot base on my last cook. I took and bought a 12" base and it fit perfectly inside of the brinkman charcoal pan. I foiled the whole thing. I did not have too many difficulties mantaining temps and it worked out pretty well.

Question for people who have used this before, does the bottom rack run hotter than with water under it? I would imagine so, but I did not put a therm down there. But I had a 14lbs brisket down there and it seemed to finished much quicker than I thought it would and I'm wondering if that is why.

I guess next time I will just have to use a therm on the second rack to find out for sure.

Todd

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Todd Randall:

Question for people who have used this before, does the bottom rack run hotter than with water under it? I would imagine so, but I did not put a therm down there. But I had a 14lbs brisket down there and it seemed to finished much quicker than I thought it would and I'm wondering if that is why.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes it will run hotter on the lower rack with the saucer, sand or a foil lined pan. You get the radiant heat from it. HTH

Perhaps that the best reason to use a Piedmont Pan. Two pans with a 1/2 inch airspace seems to minimize the radiant heat issue. One can take an additional precaution and put foil balls in the top pan then cover in foil. The bottom position will cook very similar to the top. PP with a foiled top pan seems to offer the most benefits and at little cost.

Ok,

I'm going to find the part number again on the brinkmann pan and order a second one. I'll try that next time.

Thanks,
Todd

JD,

The temp control was real good. I liked the flower pot for that reason. But, I was doing a 14 lbs brisket down on the bottom rack and it finished way faster than I wanted or thought it would. We are thinking the flower pot does help to make the lower rack run a lot hotter because of the radiant heat from it. Next time I do a top rack only cook, the flower pot is going in. Next time I have to use both racks, I'm going to try the Piedmont.

Todd

Hey Todd,

Just before the Holiday’s I purchased a 14” clay saucer, foiled the water pan and the saucer and it worked great. I cooked a 6lb pork butt and it turned out moist and delicious and as Larry mentioned, clean up was a snap. No longer will I need to dig a hole in the garden to pour the old water into and worry about the dog or other animals digging it up. Give it a try I think you will be sold.

Back