Kansas > Kansas City: Joe's Kansas City Bar-B-Que (formerly Oklahoma Joe's)

Derek O

TVWBB Member
Oklahoma joes has The best BBQ in kc. The original restaurant is located in the side of a gas station which gives it a lot of character. The z-man sandwich (brisket with an onion ring and cheese on a bun) is my favorite thing on the menu. The ribs are also excellent. They are always tender and well smoked and not chewy like what is turned out in some BBQ joints. Oklahoma joes also makes the cowtown BBQ sauce which is my favorite to use, they also have a spicier night of the living dead BBQ sauce that is just as good. the fries are also amazing and one order can be shared by two people. The BBQ baked beans are different than most places, but better than most places. If you are ever in kc, this would be the place I would recommend to anybody.

Been there twice and I can agree. Their ribs were some of the best restaurant ribs I've eaten and Night of the Living BBQ is my goto bottled sauce.

OK Joe's is pretty good, though #2 for me in KC. Arthur Bryant's is my fav. Can't go wrong at either though.

I like Arthur bryants, but I think they are a bit over rated. They definately get all the fanfare in kc, but I would rate them either second or third. Fiorella's Jack stack I think is about on par with Arthur bryants when it comes to just meat, the sauce may make Arthur bryants slightly better. The problem I have with them is consistency of their BBQ. Sometimes their BBQ is amazing and other times it is just ok. The sauce they have is good and has a very distinctive vinegary taste, and sometimes I crave just their sauce. Both Arthur bryants and Oklahoma joes have good BBQ, it's just a pick your poison of personal preference.

Here's another vote for Oklahoma Joe's! I used to be a Z-Man junkie, but now I try to experiment with different stuff there. I love the combo, brisket and pork! That way I don't have to decide between the z-man and pulled pork.

It's funny how people have different tastes. I like Arthur Bryant's, Gates, and all of the other KC BBQ places, in fact I haven't found one yet that I wouldn't return to. But Joe's is by far my favorite. And every one of the other places have just as many loyal fans. That's the great thing about BBQ, there are so many different kinds!

I grew up on Jack Stack (or Smoke Stack as it used to be called) so it will always have a special place in my heart.

OK Joe's is an excellent BBQ joint and the Z-man is to die for.

Tommy - shouldn't you be working?

Originally posted by Derek O:
I like Arthur bryants, but I think they are a bit over rated. They definately get all the fanfare in kc, but I would rate them either second or third. Fiorella's Jack stack I think is about on par with Arthur bryants when it comes to just meat, the sauce may make Arthur bryants slightly better. The problem I have with them is consistency of their BBQ. Sometimes their BBQ is amazing and other times it is just ok. The sauce they have is good and has a very distinctive vinegary taste, and sometimes I crave just their sauce. Both Arthur bryants and Oklahoma joes have good BBQ, it's just a pick your poison of personal preference.
Can't comment on AB's consistency because I only get there 1-2x/year and it has always been great, the same I can say for OK Joe's. I'm more of a fan of the vinegar bbq, the reason I favor AB.

Last edited by a moderator:
I work in KC about once a year and I make it a point to visit all of the BBQ places. I love it all, but OK Joe's is the champion in my opinion.

Arthur Bryants is hard to beat. I've had Gates and in my opinion it felt like I was eating at a rib crib, just a canned meat kinda place. I will be honest I haven't had the chance to sample OK Joes yet. I have stepped foot inside their door at the "gas station" the line stretched out the door and we were on a schedule. I am going to be working more in the KC area for a new assignment at work so I will get over to OK Joes. It is on my must do list! I will follow up after.

Oklahoma Joe's is awesome, the Z-Man was my go to but had a half rack of ribs on Tuesday, and it was incredible, so tender, yet not fall off the bone and into your lap, I wanna try the Pulled Pork sometime too. Another great place is BB's Lawnside Barbecue, great Que and great blues all the time.

Oklahoma Joes, Bryant's, Gates... Yawn Yawn Yawn...

You need to look a little harder.
  • LCs
  • Big T's
  • Smokin' Guns
  • The filling Station (Lees Summit)
  • Rosedale's
  • The Woodyard
Could go on but you get my point.

Oklahoma Joes, Bryant's, Gates... Yawn Yawn Yawn...

You need to look a little harder.
  • LCs
  • Big T's
  • Smokin' Guns
  • The filling Station (Lees Summit)
  • Rosedale's
  • The Woodyard
Could go on but you get my point.

Finally tried Smokin Guns last week, and it was good, but not at the top of my list. Rosedale, meh, the meat was good but the sauce was lacking.

I really enjoy Danny Edward's as well just to change things up occasionally.

Jim, what is your review of The Woodyard? I've been wanting to get there on my visits to KC, but don't want to be disappointed either.

Ok... Derek O... how can a guy with a KU Avatar on his profile move Oklahoma Joes into Mizzou? Its in KANSAS!

Personally I love Oklahoma Joes. Their Carolina style pulled pork sandwich is awesome. And their fries rock.

Can't be too bad of a place if its on Anthony Bourdain's 13 Places to Eat Before You Die

Guys, there's no need to sacrifice a Z Man for the pulled pork at OK Joe's. I always get a Z Man with pork, it's like a combination of two great things.

Jim, what is your review of The Woodyard? I've been wanting to get there on my visits to KC, but don't want to be disappointed either.

The ribs were good and my wife loves the smoke salmon. The only thing is that they leave the membrane on.
icon_confused.gif

Originally posted by Mark:
Ok... Derek O... how can a guy with a KU Avatar on his profile move Oklahoma Joes into Mizzou? Its in KANSAS!

Wasn't me who classified it. I believe Chris Allingham moved it into states. I always eat at the Oklahoma Joes in Kansas. The original is in Missouri though downtown by the plaza.

Note from Moderator: I've corrected the error and changed state to Kansas.

Back