Piedmont Pan mod / No drilling

Dino Harris

TVWBB Super Fan
Purchased 4 Erwin 1" c-clamps from local hardware store today. Clamped them onto the bottom pan, then sit the top pan on top of the c-clamps. Gives about 1" clearence between the 2 pans. I also went by my local nursery and picked up one of those Terra cotta pans that go under your plants to catch water. The bottom of it is angled and sits rather nicely into the top pan. Geting ready to foil the terra cotta plate and throw on a couple of butts for the weekend. I here everyone talk about the cleanup involved when using water and spilling it on everything. Using 2 Brinkman charcoal pans, they have such a wide lip and the c-clamps have a nice flat surface to to clamp down on. Will take everyones advice and adjust the heat while it is going up.

Interesting set up. Let us know how your temps hold. I'll be doing a brisket next weekend and am contemplating going waterless...

Last weekend I did my first cook in the WSM using just the foiled clay pot base. It was a short cook - a rolled rack of baby backs and 2 whole chickens on a throne. Temps stayed between 235*-250* dome the entire time. A little over 4 hours and dinner was served.
100_1552.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...baby backs and 2 whole chickens on a throne. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow what a beaut, I'm inspired.

Whatabout that table rig you got going there; where'd you get it?

Donald

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Donald:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...baby backs and 2 whole chickens on a throne. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow what a beaut, I'm inspired.

Whatabout that table rig you got going there; where'd you get it?

Donald </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I made them. Check out the Handles/Side Table Mods a few posts down the list.

Butts turned out great, cleanup was a cinch, don't know if I will ever use water again. I have a 4 1/2 inch stem Tel-Tru mounted opposite of my top vent and when temps started reaching the 200 degree level I started closing my bottom vents down. Started around 7pm Friday night and took the butts off and foiled around 9am Saturday morning. When we left the house around noon it was still holding temps in the high 240's. My vents were just barely open most of the night and it stayed at 248 to 250 throughout the whole cooking process. I don't know how most people judge how far to open or close the bottom vents, I started off using different size nails because I like them all adjusted the same. Now I use a cheap set of alan wrenches that are all on the same ring.

Nice job on the side tables, I'm not nearly that handy.

Back