"Stewing" beef

Phil R.

TVWBB All-Star
I'm wondering...what cut of meat can be used as "stew" meat? I made steak and kidney pie tonight, and the recipe called for 1 inch chunks of "stewing" beef. In my mind, that means the cheap cuts...chuck, rump roast, etc. So instead of buying the pre-cut chunks, I bought a chunk of meat labeled "whole beef chuck cross rib roast" and cut it up. The pies were good (have to admit...not a big fan of kidney though) but the meat wasn't what I expected. A little dry, a little chewy. I wonder whether I used the right roast...is there one cut that is generally accepted to be "stew" meat when cut up?

I always use chuck, but I have never heard of the cut you mentioned. Chuck need braising so I don't know why it didn't work for you.

The meat was definately simmered long enough...I tasted a piece before I put it in and it was cooked. Cooked, but still kind of stringy and not what I associate with braised beef.
I'm thinking it may have been due to the way I cut the roast...I didn't pay much attention, but perhaps I should have cut it with (or against) the grain.

Most--but not all--chuck cuts will be stringy (think pulled beef or pot roast). Round is frequently used (actually, 'stew beef' is trimmings from whatever, often).

Round is best browned, lightly cooked, removed from the pot during the bulk of the veg cooking, then returned to warm through just before serving (use a flavorful stock).

I prefer chuck top blade. Great flavor, great marbling (so it can stay in the pot); no stringiness.

Kevin,

If I do get chuck top blade, is there a way I should cut it? I.e. with the grain, against, etc.?

Since you need to cube it, it will be both with and against. Cut into larger chunks than you'd think. If you use the roast rather than the steaks (which I'd recommend), avoid the line of gristle that runs (like a layer) horizontally in roughly the middle of it. To do this easily, cut the roast in half, crosswise, to expose this center griastle line, then cut the meat from the gristle on each side of it; next, cube the meat cuttin the cubes, again, so that they'll be large (you can cut them smaller after cooking if you wish). The gristle will not break down during cooking.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
avoid the line of gristle that runs (like a layer) horizontally in roughly the middle of it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Kevin. Will do if I can find the cut.

Back