First Butt Smoke

Brad S.

Got my WSM at Christmas and did a couple of chickens previously. However, this past weekend I did my very first overnight pork butt smoke in my life. I used the Mr. Brown recipe.

Everyone who states the WSM holds it temperature is not lying. After a couple of adjustments, it settled in and held around 220 throughout the night without any changes. As an absolute newbie, I was able to relax after a while and get some sleep in between checks. I had to stir the coals in the morning and add a little more fuel for the last couple of hours. Thank God for this website and Chris' explanation of Temperature Plateau in the Pork Butt section or I would have panicked because the meat temp definitely stopped increasing for a while.

I think for a first time, it turned out pretty tasty and the family liked it. Overall, I am very pleased and think I have a new hobby.

Picture right before pulling off the WSM.
http://picasaweb.google.com/10...-vIA&feat=directlink

Hey Brad, Welcome to the WSM world. You did a very nice job with your first time butt. I'm sure they tasted as good as they looked. Congrats.

Back