Thermometer Installation

J D McGee

TVWBB Pro
I recently purchased a WSM and installed a Char-Broil thermometer (the only one I could find at my local Home Depot at the time) in the lid opposite the vent. I was a little curious as to the accuracy of the thermometer after my first smoke so I immersed it in boiling water to see where it would read on the dial...not even close. The 212 degree F read about 250 deg F on the dial. I just ordered a Tel-Tru model BQ300 to replace it with. Anyone have a Tel-Tru?...Is it fairly accurate?

Its specs say it's supposed to be accurate to +/- 1% over its entire range. It was good enough to use on the Two-Tone Bullet Project. Search that model number here on the forum for some threads discussing it.

I have 2 WSMs and both are equiped with 3"dial Tel-Tru in the lid opposite of the top vent. Yes, mine are both on the money. I bought the 4" inch stems, some perfer the 2". It has not interfered with any of my meats so far and I feel like I get a truer temp with it going in a little further than the 2". I use a 1/2" pipe coupling (NPT) to mount mine in the lid, that way I can take it out and in due to weather and such. Grainger therms are used by some here, have heard nothing bad about them either. I also use a Maverick ET-7 for meat temps. I think the Tel-Tru's look nice mounted opposite the top vent, one of mine is silver faced and the other is black. They are the bbq model.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doug D:
Its specs say it's supposed to be accurate to +/- 1% over its entire range. It was good enough to use on the Two-Tone Bullet Project. Search that model number here on the forum for some threads discussing it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great project...congrats on it's success...a worthy cause for both projects. I ordered the same Tel-Tru that you have installed on the Two-Tone with a 2 1/2 inch probe.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dino Harris:
I use a 1/2" pipe coupling (NPT) to mount mine in the lid, that way I can take it out and in due to weather and such. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I was thinking along these lines... glad to hear that someone has tried this and come up with a conclusion as to how!
Thanks!

Daniel, your local hardware store should have a rubber stopper that will fit the drilled hole when your thermometer is not in use. I worry about condensation getting into the thermometer over time, would probably be worse in your location, especially in the winter.

I used a hack saw blade bend like a horse shoe no holes to drill just slip one end of the blade under vent the other slip thermometer through both holes in the blade Vola ajust to your liken for depth..No blockage of vent neither

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed "Moo" Mucha:
I used a hack saw blade bend like a horse shoe no holes to drill just slip one end of the blade under vent the other slip thermometer through both holes in the blade Vola ajust to your liken for depth..No blockage of vent neither </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ed, can you elaborate on this method a little? I'm having a hard time envisioning this from your description...better yet, could you take a pic or two? thanks!

Brad the Moo ain't that puter smart...But anyhow with the hack saw blade there's holes already in the blade I bent mine just like a U slid it under the smoker handle then under the top vent put my thermo.in the said 2 holes poking in the smoker..Adjust the lenght by bending blade back up or down..
Hope this helps..

Back