Charbroil Charcoal Kettle Grill

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw the 22.5 kettle at our local Academy today. They had a couple of display models on sale for their going out of business sale.

My impression was that while attractive, they simply are not as well made as the Weber. The Webers have thicker steel, thicker porcelain enammel, better fit and finish and overall, just a feel of a more substantial grill.

If I was somewhere without my Weber, I could cook on the Char Broil (I've had a Char
Broil gasser for almost 5 years and have had good experience with it) but I certainly wouldn't have as much faith in the Char Broil kettle as I would a Weber.

I definitely would recommend the Weber every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Pat

I've used that Charbroil before. It was in the cottage we rented for a weekend. It is half the price of a Weber OTS, but the latter is more than twice as good. The Charbroil felt cheap, the cooking grates were thinner and the "ash catcher" was a joke (although the one on the OTS isn't much better). The fit and finish pales in comparison to the Weber kettles. It would be much more difficult to try to maintain temps with the Charbroil.

I strongly urge you not to get the Charbroil. If you're not in a rush check out your local craigslist. You might be able to score an OTG for not much more than the price of a new Charbroil and it will surely last longer. Even a used OTS overpriced at $40 would be a better deal than a brand new Charbroil at retail, IMO.

Last spring on a very windy day, I was using my 22 1/2 OTG and the neighbor had his 22 1/2 CB goin also.

A gust of wind flipped his grill on its side. Good thing for him that he set up on the patio instead of on his deck.

Even with a 3rd wheel, my OTG did not budge.
(You got to love that 3 point stance!)

As they say " friends don't let friends buy crappy grills "
icon_wink.gif

Tim

Tim -

Your post made me laugh because it reminded me of a day at the lake last summer. I have a Weber 22.5 OTS at the lakehouse. We were expecting a big crowd and I needed more grilling space. I ran back to Mejer's to buy another OTS, but they were out so I bought a "Kingsford" kettle instead. It may be the same grill as the CharBroil. In any event, they are very similar, including the lid that lifts up on a hinge.

I had just dumped a chimney of lit charcoal into each grill and turned around to get the grates to put on the grills.

When I turned around, the Kingsford was flying across the patio at a high rate of speed - filled with flaming charcoal - the lid serving as a sail, picking up the wind coming in from the lake.

It was a pretty scary moment until I caught up to the runaway grill. I'm a big guy and I don't move that fast.

When I turned around, I realized that the family and friends were laughing hysterically at my antics, and the windsurfing kettle grill.

Just another reason I love my Weber - "It doesn't imitate a wind surfer."

Pat

you probably don't need my input by now but I seen one up close at a store and messed w/ it, all of the above is what I noted as well. Its a fine little grill but not comparable to the webers. Depends how interested in grillin you are and how much is in your wallet I guess, good luck.

Originally posted by Pat Smith:
Tim -

Your post made me laugh because it reminded me of a day at the lake last summer.....

I had just dumped a chimney of lit charcoal into each grill and turned around to get the grates to put on the grills.

When I turned around, the Kingsford was flying across the patio at a high rate of speed - filled with flaming charcoal - the lid serving as a sail, picking up the wind coming in from the lake.

It was a pretty scary moment until I caught up to the runaway grill. I'm a big guy and I don't move that fast.

When I turned around, I realized that the family and friends were laughing hysterically at my antics, and the windsurfing kettle grill.

Just another reason I love my Weber - "It doesn't imitate a wind surfer."

Pat

Pat, I was laughing out loud reading your post. That's too funny!

I had a Char-Broil smoker several years ago. The interior is not porcelan coated and the bottom rusted out after the first winter. It went in the trash and I went and bought a WSM. The CB needed water and fuel every hour and didn't get hot enough to smoke with. The WSM works perfectly and doesn't need fuel or water added for hours so it is very enjoyable to use. The WSM also cooks the food done. You definately get what you pay for and the WSM is worth 10X what a CB is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back