First Cook

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Just finished my first cook with my WSM and am very pleased. I made chicken on a throne.I also used two polder thermometers one for the meat and one for the grill surface. Just like the receipe said 3 1/2 hours to get 180 degree internal temp. The WSM stabilized at approx. 250 degrees.
Had a good time.
Thanks
Dan

Dan,
Sounds good! Three questions for you. One..How are you checking grill surface temps with your Polder....through a potato or wood block?
Two..Are you running the cable under the lid?
Three..Where are you checking the temps for the chicken, in the breast?

one of the reason I don't do whole chickens is the dark meat needs to get to 180? while the breast is best at 160?. If you are doing whole chickens then stick them in a thigh.
When cooking whole chickens and the thighs are done the breasts are over done. Brining would help keep the breast moister when doing a whole bird.
With time you will find that as long as you keep the dome in the Q'ning range evrything else as far as Q temps goes takes care of their selves. You can just hang one probe in on of the top vent holes.
Jim

Hi everyone,
I used a potato to hold the grill probe and ran both cables under the lid.I put the probe in the breast and let it get to about 187 after it sat for about 10 minutes. I don't think I will be doing it again anytime soon, there is too many other things I want to cook.
Being new to the WSM I felt more comfortable knowing what both temperatures were. As I get more cooks under my belt I will probably quit using both.
Thanks for all the help
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back