Pit probe OK but food probes show OFF

Bryan Mayland

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Dennis C
Probe 0 is getting a Temp reading
Probe 1,2,3 show as OFF (not disabled)
Fan is spinning

Any ideas about the probes?
Probably the quickest thing to check is to set the HeaterMeter to Resistance mode to see what they are reading.

-- Go to the Linkmeter Configuration page
-- For the "Set Point" change it to "R" (no number, just the letter R.
-- Leave the field and click the "Update URL" to set sp=R
-- Go back to the Home page
-- The probes should now read their raw resistance.

If they still say OFF, check your probe header without the probe jack harness connected. Pins 3,4,5 should read 5V with respect to Pin 1 (GND). If you reattach the probe jack harness and can get a reading the voltage should drop (this can be tricky to find a place to read from, I use the little holes on the side of the header). If it does not, then check your wiring on the jacks or make sure the probe plugs aren't going in to far and not making contact or something.

If your probes now show numbers (the Maverick probes read about 220000 at room temperature) then sounds like your Steinhart coefficients aren't right. Go back to the config page and reset them using the preset list.

You are the best.

So far so good here. The plugs were pushed in too far.

Next step is to get the LED working. If not no big deal. I can always use my computer to do all the work

Stupid plugs! I have such a hard time finding a part that does the job I want it to, then you get them and they turn out to be like 1mm too short in a dimension that isn't really listed on the datasheet so you think it is a standard size. I've also got a bag of 10x 2.1mm barrel jacks that the barrel portion is 0.1" too short. I need to go to the mouser warehouse and just be able to try all the parts they have.

Back