Chicken Thighs in a Mustard Crust

Ray Crick

TVWBB Emerald Member
When I recently grilled a rack of lamb in a mustard crust (from Raichlin's "How to Grill"), my wife commented about the wonderful aroma and flavors and asked if I could cook chicken the same way. I first tried the spatchcocked chicken as recommended by Raichlin, and the flavors were great but we did not like the texture of the skin.

I have now done boneless, skinless chicken thighs 4 times, and they turned out great every time so I decided to share the recipe with this board. I used my gasser but your charcoal grill would work as well or even the WSM (at around 375 degrees). I have not added any smoke to this recipe as it is flavorful enough without the smoke.

I have slightly modified Raichlin's original recipe (added more garlic). My recipe is below. Enjoy

Ray

Chicken Thighs in a Mustard Crust

5 or 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
Coarse salt and black pepper
2 ½ cups plain bread crumbs
¼ cup minced fresh parsley
1 tbs chopped fresh rosemary
4 – 5 cloves garlic – minced
I tbs paprika
1 tbs minced fresh oregano
1 ½ cups grainy mustard
EVOO

Heat grill for cooking over indirect heat.

Mix bread crumbs, parsley, rosemary, garlic, oregano, and paprika in a baking dish.

Generously season thighs with salt and pepper.

Spread the mustard over the thighs and dip in the bread mixture, adding extra handfuls and patting as necessary to get a full coating. When all thighs are coated, lightly drizzle EVOO over the top of the thighs (or spray with EVOO).

Cook over indirect heat til done (approx 30 to 32 minutes on 375 degree grill).

Remove and let rest for 3 – 4 minutes.

Believe it or not, I just bought this book! Every year, Costco has it for $11.99, and I grilled pizzas for the first time. Hopefully next time I will be a little more agile, my dough turned out a little loose from the humidity in the house here.

Anyway, all his recipes are excellent, and I always learn something new. It has excellent pix and explanations.

Jane,

I agree - this is one helluva book. Be sure to try the garlic halibut (great on salmon too). It has such wonderful flavors.

BTW - I used the book so much that the binding broke. I went to Kinko's and they put it in a spiral binder for about $7. Now it lays flat and is easier to use.

Humid here too - and Alberto is bringing more rain.

Ray

We run a swamp cooler here before the monsoon season starts, so this is what makes the house so humid feeling. They work great this time of year, but have to switch to a/c very soon when the Mexican storms start moving north. Hopefully, we'll get a bang of year for rain this year. We so need it.

Hey Jane...are you happy with your swamp cooler(s)? I'm thinking of buying a window unit to use in my bedroom at night...no point in AC'ing the whole house when i'm only in one room (especially when my utility bill was $498 for July--in a 1300 sq foot house no less). Would it be too humid for me to sleep in a room cooled by one though? I know they work well in my area (my weather is very similar to yours, very dry, except we're cooler...*most* of the time).

I don't think they work in your area, Phil. They work, just not that well.

Primarily humidity of less than 20% is ideal for these babies to efficiently 'cool' the house/room, etc. This is why most homes here have dual cooling features. I don't know if you heard about all our rain, but some areas were considered disaster areas. In July and August here, the monsoons really trump up the moisture, so we turn on the a/c to the tune of $400 a month! Everyone on the east coast tells me it's never humid here, but it does get up there. Right now we're at 70%. It just rained - AGAIN!
We finally reached our annual rainfall amount in just the past week's time.

I only remember one house on our block growing up in Burp-bank that had swamp. It was always so humid in that house, and it stunk. Climates like the dry desert here can handle swamps, but only those months of the year when we don't get rain.

Back