Weber Chimney Accessory

Tim Audus

So today I finally figured out how to add lit charcoal to my 22.5 WSM in the middle of a cook without having to lift up the middle section. I had some round flashing in my basement from adding a return air vent in the basement. I opened my access door put the flashing in the door and under the water pan and poured my hot coals down the chute. It was so easy and my chimney fit right in the flashing so no chance of dropping hot coals on my toes. Would be interested in what the rest of you do.

I started with low and slow for my pork tenderloin and then wanted to add some heat to raise the temps to cook my chicken breasts. Most times I don't need to but I'm sure happy I found a better way for those times when I need to.

after almost twelve hours into a 15 hour cook, i simply lifted the top and middle portion of the WSM off, set it down, then added more charcoal.
it was pretty easy to do and i found it to be less stressful than imagined.

I've done the "hot squat" like Jim described. I've also just opened the door and threw in handfuls until I had added enough new coals.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
after almost twelve hours into a 15 hour cook, i simply lifted the top and middle portion of the WSM off, set it down, then added more charcoal.
it was pretty easy to do and i found it to be less stressful than imagined. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think this is about the easiest and fastest method (especially if you've added handles). If I'm only adding a few (like 12) hot coals, I just use tongs to insert them, but I've been think about using a chute just like you say Tim.

Rich

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
both times i used my wsm i didn't need any coals. but you have a great idea. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

George, HOW DID YOU DO IT? I have always had to put coals in my WSM to get any heat in there. And you have figured a way to cook in yours without coals, I am amazed. Do Tell!!!!

Mark

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mk evenson:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
both times i used my wsm i didn't need any coals. but you have a great idea. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

George, HOW DID YOU DO IT? I have always had to put coals in my WSM to get any heat in there. And you have figured a way to cook in yours without coals, I am amazed. Do Tell!!!!

Mark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

I usually catch those, Mark -- but missed that one -- thanks.

Rich

Mark:
icon_biggrin.gif

Sounds like a great idea. But what is a "flashing"? Google´d it,but i guess a topless spring-break chick dident help you add the lit ones?
icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wolgast:
Mark:
icon_biggrin.gif

Sounds like a great idea. But what is a "flashing"? Google´d it,but i guess a topless spring-break chick dident help you add the lit ones?
icon_cool.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Personally, I like your topless chick idea better...
icon_wink.gif

Flashing is used at the corner of rooflines and similar places to prevent water leaking into and behind the siding, chimney, etc. It comes in a long roll of aluminum about 12 - 18" wide. So 2 ft. length (for example) could be rolled or folded to fit into the WSM door to the charcoal ring and extend out to allow pouring hot coals.

Nice idea, but needs some thought to make it feasible.

Rich

smallish butts and highish heat. i fully packed the ring(home made). wasn't braggin, just stating that i hadn't the opportunity to need to try adding coals. i'm in a wheelchair so this idea really will be perfect for me when i do need to add coals. for sure i cannot lift the middle section as you can surmise !

Nice idea Tim!
But just to avoid any confusion for the folks who would like to try this.
Was your round return-air "flashing" a piece of galvanized duct pipe not yet seamed, or was it a piece of coil stock?

Tim

haha while everyone knew what you intended to say(that you never had to ADD coals during a cook), they were poking fun at what was literally written(that you never use coals at all!).
icon_smile.gif

Took some pictures of the metal chute I use. How this better clarifies.
Just gotta figure out how to post them on here.

Ok, that's the idea I had, but let me correct you (with only information intended, not being critical). That isn't flashing, that is a piece of self-locking air duct (I used plenty of it in my shop dust control system). Do you have it locked together at one end? And how? Also, what diameter duct (may be helpful for those who want to try it)?

For others, you can buy this at any hardware store in 4, 5, 6, and 8 inch diameters -- usually in 2-foot length increments. It is typically sheet steel, not aluminum.

Rich

Thanks Rich, It is 6" and I didn't lock it as it fit better when I rolled the bottom tighter and then the other side opened up more so it was easy to pour my chimney into. I did step on the bottom side as well so it flattened a little and seemed to hold the shape better. I'm thinking it would be nice to tape, screw or band it together somehow.

Thanks for letting me know the details, Tim. I have a couple of 2' pieces of 5" that will probably work fine. I'll probably use a pop rivet to hold the ends, and then aluminum tape to bind it securely.

Rich

One other thing Rich, but you will probably know this being you worked with it. The edges can be really sharp if you have previously cut it, mine had some sharp edges I had to file off to make sure I didn't get cut.

Back