digi or stoker?

Joe S.

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi all,

I am new here but been reading gor awhile on the forum.

I am torn between the two.I am leaning to digi since it has ramp mode. Seems like the stoker doesn't havr that feature. I'm not sure if open lid detect on the guru is really important.I seems like stoker don't have that either.
Any thoughts.

Thanks Joe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe S.:
Hi all,

I am new here but been reading gor awhile on the forum.

I am torn between the two.I am leaning to digi since it has ramp mode. Seems like the stoker doesn't havr that feature. I'm not sure if open lid detect on the guru is really important.I seems like stoker don't have that either.
Any thoughts.

Thanks Joe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If you use my software, stokerlog with stoker, you will get a ramp mode that you can even modify yourself if you like! Ditto for lid-open logic.

From all counts, guru is a well designed and well supported machine. But what you get is what you will have forever. In contrast, with addition of software like mine, stoker keeps getting better everyday. It truly gives you freedom to go do things like shopping and work, while you get nice notification of how your cook is going, whether the fire has gone out, the food is ready, etc.

Go ahead and install stokerlog and play with it in simulation mode where it pretends it is talking to a stoker. That way, you get a good feel of what all you can do with it from graphing to music playing when the food is done.

While I have no connection with either company, you should take the above with a biased view of someone who truly appreciates what a wonderful box stoker is. It should be priced twice as high as it is given its capabilities....

Thanks Amir.

Sounds great. I wanted the stoker but was going with the guru mainly for those reasons.

My work pays for a wirless sprint card for my laptop.How would I use that to connect to my stoker? Would I just need a wirless router ?.

Thanks

There are two ways:

1. Have stokerlog (or another program Ken wrote) send you emails to your account. In the case of my program, you can get a copy of the graph along with the temps and alarms. But there is a bug in there where it doesn't work for everyone. Ken's program is reliable but doesn't send you the graph. Both programs can also send text messages to any phone in addition to email. In this scenario, there is nothing you need to do extra.

2. Set up your router so that you can access the stoker from outside. Then you can run stokerlog on your PC and have the same functionality you would have at home. There are multiple threads here and article on rock's web site (the guy who sells the stoker) on how to do this. It takes some effort but people here can help you with it. Basically, you have to change the configuration in your home router to allow for this external access. There is nothing new to buy if you already have a home router.

Interesting story I have told before on #2. There was once a bug in stokerlog where it would crash when someone was using it but I could not duplicate it. The person was kind enough to let me access his stoker remotely so that I could find the bug. But I had a photo trip scheduled to a remote island in Japan. There I was, sitting in my hotel room at 2:00am (jetlagged), using my wireless phone card in Japan, to talk to a stoker in US. It was so strange to see the temprature in the room the stoker was operating! How far technology has come....

I'd say if you're looking for a solid set it and forget it no frills device the DigiQ II is a fine unit, very impressive with a great company behind it. I've run my Stoker side-by-side with one and was very impressed with it and it's ease of use.

If you like bells ans whistles like email/SMS notifications, graphs of your cooks, ability to control and monitor your Stoker via laptop, PDA or SmartPhone, expand your ATC to control more than one cooker (didn't think I'd need this until I bought another cooker) etc. than Stoker is probably for you.

Lots of people on this site willing to help you with both products and give you their opinions. Good luck with your decision.

I didn't notice in the posts the ability to control multiple cookers. Perhaps you don't have that need now but if you ever get a second, third, fourth, etc. pit then they can all be controlled from a single stoker. All you need to buy is additional fans/probes. Amir's Stokerlog will even track two seperate pits at the same time. The computer interface into the Stoker will allow you to easily input your settings, etc. I have three WSM and I use the single stoker to allow me to sleep thru the night while they are all being taken care of. I am very happy with the Stoker.

I have not used the digi or other controllers so can't comment on those.

Good luck.

Rick is right on, I didn't think I'd have another cooker to run off the Stoker, but here I am . . . in-fact, Stoker is running her now!

Another tip, if you plan on doing any high heat cooks e.g. a turkey, I'd get the 10 CFM blower.

A little late to post. I have both systems the guru for a easy set up is great.The one thing is it only monitors one food temp unless you use a pro com 4, which does three food temps . The stoker can do I believe as many as you want to plug in.Which is nice when you have a smoker full of food.I have used the Guru for years and had very little problems only the temp probes once in awhile ,which is normal I think for either systems.Now when cooking at home I use the stoker most the time. When cooking in a remote location I use the Guru.

i have been tearing myself apart with this very question. are the horror stories i've heard about shipping and customer service from rock true? also i'm considering the basic system plus or loaded. does the WSM mount come with the package or does that need to be ordered seperate?

As long as you are not in a hurry or need the device by certain date, there is really no risk in ordering the box from Rock as Rob mentioned. You will get the box, you just don't know when
icon_smile.gif

Once there though, there are no issues. He stands by the products and gives you great service if you call him and talk to him directly.

Back