Smokey Joe Silver Repair

Gerry D.

TVWBB Pro
I plucked a Smokey Joe Silver from the trash. When I got it home I saw that the three bolts where the legs attach to the bottom are rusted and about to break. Should I bother trying to fix it or just put it back where I found it? Everything else is ok.

Gerry, what i did with my old rusted out smokey joe was make a charcoal holder out of it, measured the clearance from the top cooking grate to charcoal grate in my 22, then i cut off 5 inches from the smokey joe bowl, fits perfect between the grates, i use it to cook steaks mostly.

If you are giving any thought to putting it back in the trash, give it to me instead. I work in Bala Cynwyd, which is practically Philly anyways.

If it is seriously just the bolts, they can be drilled out or otherwise carefully removed, and replaced with new stainless bolts. If you don't want to mess with it, I have no problems doing so. My SJG doesn't work the way I want it to for grillin' so I will probably make a mini WSM out of it, so that leaves me needing a SJS for those random camping trips, etc.

It is worse than just the bolts being rusted. Where the bolts are attached the the bowl is rusted out too. It looks like it would completely collapse if I any charcoal in it. I can completely see through it. If any thing I was thinking about drilling out the rusted parts and putting a large washer along with some new legs.

Ya know, if Weber used Stainless hardware, these grills would outlast us all...
Are you listeneing Weber?

Back