Cheese for Nachos

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
What type of cheese do you prefer for pulled pork nachos?

Do you make a sauce or grate the cheese over the nachos?

Rita

Great question, Rita! I'm very interested in the results.
icon_smile.gif

Bill

Rita,

A quick queso around our house is Rotel Original and velveta as a base. Then kick it up with jalapeno or a chili of choice. Or, have you looked into chipotle con queso. The base is cheddar.

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n.... too many choices!
Gary

I mostly do this (with the sweet onion, minced hot pepper, and minced tomato options). If it's last minute, I just shred [i[queso asadero[/i] or blanco and scatter those additions throughout.

Velveta, a jar of my favorite salsa, and the microwave works for me. Rotel is hard to find here, but showing up more these days in Amish Town.
icon_rolleyes.gif
We do have some mighty fine scrapple though.
icon_biggrin.gif

Lately I've been making a blend of queso fresco or blanco and velveeta. To it, I add homemade salsa. The queso fresco easily melts.

I've been heating a few cups of whole milk over medium heat and adding slices of American cheese until the desired consistency and color is achieved; you can the mix on the go (about 60% cheese to 40% milk has been what I've found),and this cheese sauce doesn't start to clump and get hard to dip when it cools off. That's the thing I never liked about Velveeta. Get the cheese sauce to the right thickness and add whatever you want; I always add fresh jalapeno, diced roma tomatoes, yellow onion and a dash of garlic powder.

I found this one on line, a different approach. It sounds good and the people there say it's great. You gotta love this site. I love Nacho Cheese
icon_biggrin.gif

The Official I Love NachoCheese .com Recipe

Serving Size: Enough for one bowl of nachos (1-2 persons)

Ingredients:

1 1/2 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. corn starch
1/2 cup milk
1 oz. cream cheese, cubed
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/8 cup monterey jack, shredded
1/2 tsp. Habenero Hot sauce. (Any habanero/scotch bonnet pepper sauce will do. We recommend anything with a "use with descretion" warning on the bottle.)
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. paprika

Directions:
In a small saucepan over low-medium heat, melt butter and stir in corn starch.
Pour in the milk, add cream cheese, and continue to stir until mixture is fully incorporated.
While stirring mix in cheddar and jack cheeses, chili powder, paprika, and hot pepper sauce.
Continue to stir until cheese has melted and all ingredients are well blended.
Pour over tortilla chips.

I saw this one on BBQ with Bobby Flay. They went fast at my super bowl party.

Nacho Cheese/Queso Sauce:
1 pound pasteurized cheese (recommended: Velveeta)
8 ounces shredded Cheddar
8 ounces shredded Monterey jack cheese
1 (14-ounce) can tomatoes with green chilies (recommended: Ro-tel)
1 tomato, diced
1/2 jalapeno pepper, finely diced
1/2 red onion, finely diced
2 green onions, chopped
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon ancho or chipotle (or other) ground chile pepper
Kosher salt

Combine all ingredients in a double boiler and stir until melted. Season with salt, to taste.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
I found this one on line, a different approach. It sounds good and the people there say it's great. You gotta love this site. I love Nacho Cheese
icon_biggrin.gif

The Official I Love NachoCheese .com Recipe

Serving Size: Enough for one bowl of nachos (1-2 persons)

Ingredients:

1 1/2 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. corn starch
1/2 cup milk
1 oz. cream cheese, cubed
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/8 cup monterey jack, shredded
1/2 tsp. Habenero Hot sauce. (Any habanero/scotch bonnet pepper sauce will do. We recommend anything with a "use with descretion" warning on the bottle.)
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. paprika

Directions:
In a small saucepan over low-medium heat, melt butter and stir in corn starch.
Pour in the milk, add cream cheese, and continue to stir until mixture is fully incorporated.
While stirring mix in cheddar and jack cheeses, chili powder, paprika, and hot pepper sauce.
Continue to stir until cheese has melted and all ingredients are well blended.
Pour over tortilla chips. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I made this up tonight and it was pretty darn good. I used 1 oz of Pepper Jack and 3.5 ozs of Cabot sharp cheddar, with Chimayo Hot chili powder, and no paprika. Was nice and smooth and creamy, but make sure you don't over heat it or it will get grainy on you. I added the jack and cheddar then turned off the burner. It's a keeper. IMO this nacho cheese base would make some nice stove top Mac and Cheese with a twist.
icon_wink.gif

Back