Gone Vegan-> Black-Eyed Pea Burgers

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
I was reading about how healthy beans are in the diet, and started searching for a black bean burger recipe.
Combined some ideas and headed to the pantry for a can of black beans.
None to be found, but I spotted a can of black-eyed peas.

Mashed 'em up, and added onion sauteed in butter, panade (milk and bread), Montreal Steak Seasoning, red pepper flakes, black pepper, dash of salt, and ancho chile powder.
Too moist, should have left out the panade.
So I mixed in flour and Panko crumbs.
Jo Anne walked by and said "What are you concocting now?"
"You don't want to know" I replied.
IMGP7502.JPG

Started on foil sprayed with Pam.
Apple wood chips for smoke.
IMGP7508.JPG

After 30 min. went direct.
IMGP7511.JPG

IMGP7513.JPG

Topped with Provel cheese.
IMGP7516.JPG

Added Sriracha mayo, and a sweet onion slice.
(resisted the urge for a slice or two of bacon)
Mac salad and pickles for sides.
IMGP7526.JPG

The thing was actually pretty darn good.
Similar to a tuna burger without the fish taste, or a hamburger without the beef taste.
Surprisingly, there was no 'black-eyed peas' taste.

I will experiment more with these.
Just kidding about going vegan
icon_biggrin.gif

Looks great Bob. I occasionally do black bean burgers with a mex mix (jalapeno, tomato, cilantro, etc). But now I'm thinking a chickpea burger with some med spices might be cool. Thanks for the inspiration!

Great looking burgers! I do something similar too, black beans, cilatro, sauteed onions, taco seasoning, and wild rice.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Similar to a tuna burger without the fish taste, or a hamburger without the beef taste. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a bean burger with a bean taste. Looks very respectable. I would give it a try if you served that to me but, I'll have mine with bacon...

Outstanding Bob, I turned vegen today after lunch.....haven't had any meat since
icon_biggrin.gif

Do one with budderbeans Bob
icon_wink.gif

OK first off if you put butter in it it's not Vegan. Secondly those are some of the best veggie burgers I've seen, and with a exveggie wife I've seen plenty of them.

I can hear Jo saying, "What are you concocting <span class="ev_code_GREY">now</span>?"... too funny!
Butt h3llsb3lls Bobby! You've concocted quite-a burger buddy!
I'd eet a coupla of those easily! 'specially with that sriracho-mayo-combo-dealo going!
Great Lookin' Cookin'!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Similar to a tuna burger without the fish taste </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nice job! Leave out the salt and add a bit of fish sauce. You will be surprised.

Your burger looks great, Bob! I love black-eyed peas. Unfortunately Tonya doesn't like 'em so we don't have them very often. We've been trying to eat more healthy at our house (Tonya more than me - I've been a little hesitant
icon_rolleyes.gif
) She actually eats vegan 2 or 3 days out of the week.

Back