Weber Disaster

Trevor

I cant believe I am making this post, but I am so jacked off right now its not funny.

Here it is, late afternoon, felt like a nice Weber Q roast chicken, done all my prep work.

Went out and lit the Weber Q300 (Brand New only done about 4 cooks on it) initially I thought the flame looked a little small, never had the flare it had on previous occasions, but never the less... Then it took ages to heat up..strange I thought... Finally put the chook on, turned off the middle flame and set the outer to my normal roasting level (about 4 bars on the gas knob)... waited, waited and still no temp..VERY STRANGE..normally would have been back up to 200 in a jiffy...waited a while, cranked it way up both burners and only just started to get hot...

OK...so I figure the gas man had diddled me and sold me a 1/4 full bottle, zapped down the street and changed it..came back...WEBER WOULDNT EVEN START..NOTHING... tried with a flame and no joy! God you can imagine how pissed off I am right now.

So, back to BBQ shop tomorrow....

Hi guys, I wouldnt think that its insects or cobwebs as its only 3 weeks old and clean as a whistle, and I keep it covered.

It looks like the gas flow has been restricted. I am guessing looking at a few simular complaints online that its gotta be the regulator or something like that.

Bloody dissapointing to say the least.

I use gas turkeys burners on the back side on my big pull-behind stick burner with a 30lb tank. When it gets below 40 or so they will not burn corectly. It acts just like what you are fighting and I have fought it several times with no solution but mine has to have something to do with it being so cold, a few hours later on the same day after it warms it a bit they work perfect.

Hi there Trevor,

Sorry to hear of your dissapointing experience with your new Q and I know how frustrating it can be.
If I remember correctly, I'd say you're here in Australia. I'm in Sydney and recently when I bought a new Weber Performer, the gas starter venturo acted up and I couldn't get any flame at all only after the first few uses so I called Weber and they sent a Service guy out to have a look and he eventually had to order in a whole new starter unit.Their service is quite good.
I'm thinking by your problem it could be a gas regulator not allowing the gas to go further down the line.If you have new full gas tank then it should have ample pressure.

I don't think you'd have blocked tubes, not this early in the cooking process.

When you turn on the gas tank, and then turn on the control knob to the 'start position' do you hear any gas sound coming out from under the grill? If not then it's obvious that the gas is not getting through and I'd say that it could be the regulator that's doing it.(however I could be wrong and have egg on my face later)

let us know how you get on Trevor just so that anyone else is having similar problems will know where to look first.

Cheers

Davo

make sure you turn the tank valve on first and wait a minute. the gas needs to stabalize and then light yer q. if you try to light right away the valve kinda shutts down. it thinks there is a big leak.

I`m located in Australia, so the cold sint a problem. On turning the Weber on again this morning, still no joy, in fact I cant even hear/smell gas if I leave it on for any period of time.

I contacted the store where I bought it and they told me to ring Weber, not interested in any after sales service..... I so love how stores are nice to get your money and then as cold as a rock when you return for help.

Just rang Weber (Saturday AM) and got a message service and left my name and number. No doubt I will call them back Monday before they decide to call me.

G'day Trev,

Firstly mate,the retail store is bound by consumer law to honour the products they sell and should be the people you go to as they represent/sell products which they buy from companies such as Weber.The stores can't just fob you off like that and I usually tell them that and if need be, threaten them with the department of fair trading, that normally gets them going.
Whilst saying that, you're better to contact WEBER direct anyway as you'll get better service overall.
What i did was write them an email explaining the problem the best way I could so that they'll have an idea when the service guy calls.
I'd also be complaining to Weber about your retailer so that they can put pressure on them as well.
I beleive Weber are very fussy about who sells their gear because I've had a few retailers tell me that Weber will only supply them with the basic models whilst treating their premium dealers with all their stock and if that dealer is a Premium Weber dealer then he could be at risk of losing that if he won't treat customers the right way.

cheers

Davo

Thanks Davo, I did send Weber an email last night explaining how dissapointing it was to have the grill fail on me while having people over..bit of egg on my face there....

I havent yet spoken to them as far as the dealers go, I was going to ring them Monday and express my dissapointment about that.

Judging by comments on reviews ect, it would appear as if the regulator is the problem and I`m hoping that the service person (if they send one) has the foresight to bring one with him to try and rectify the problem there and then...Christmas will take a major rethink if this isnt fixed by then....

Trevor

I am so sorry to hear that things did not go acording to plan.

Weber Australia hav a 24/7 hot line.

I am guessing that you have a regulator problem and that the restrictor has tripped.

This is the fix.
Turn off the gas at the bottle and on the Q (both gas control knobs).
Lift the lid on the Q.
Turn the bottle valve on slowly and wait 20 - 30 seconds.
Turn the Q control knob on and wait 5 seconds and then light, turn on the other Q control knob and light.
It should now be working ok.

Regards

Back