SJs bottom vent improvement?

FredM

The vent on the bottom is quite hard to adjust. Has anyone attached a longer handle similar to the larger grills?

also i just bought it and am wondering how long will it be last if I keep it uncovered on the back porch and leave the ash in the bottom? Seems like the ash would hold in moisture and rust out the bottom vent.

i do not recommend leaving it out uncovered if you want to keep it for a long time. i leave the ash in for a few days until i can clean it up. its really, really not that hard to move or clean.

Yep. A carriage bolt with two nuts. Drill a hole in the tab on the bottom vent and then bend it down. Put the carriage bolt through the hole with one nut on it, then tighten the second bolt on the other side of the bent tab.

I did this on a SJ Premium to which I added a bottom vent and it worked great. I haven't done this to a regular SJ but it should work the same way.

Also, I bought a big plastic "bucket" at Lowes for $8.00 and flip it upside down over my SJ as a cover. Works great.

Pat

Back