Pulled Turkey Breast Experiment

Jon Des.

TVWBB Gold Member
It was a beautiful day here on Saturday. We spent the morning running to our nearest Ikea (in Baltimore) to take back a few things from the 99.5% complete kitchen project and had breakfast. I couldn't pass up this applewood smoked salmon and pickled veggies for $4.99, even if it was only 10:30. It was so good that I snapped a picture to share. Great flavor and nice smokiness.

6cac1ce8.jpg

Anyway, back at home and it was 64 degrees. Fortunately I had some barbecue planned, because this was prime weather for drinking beer on the deck in January. Or any other month! I've been wanting to try this for a long time, and being that we have a large amount of turkey in the freezer I wasn't too worried if it didn't work out. One enhanced turkey breast on the WSM. It was around 175 when I started but settled in to 300 or so. Apple, hickory and cherry for smoke.

7e04c134.jpg

I wanted to get an action pic before darkness, and this was taken right at 5:00.

fe47a5d3.jpg

This was well after 5:00.

0b3b3063.jpg

Meanwhile, made a mess of gumbo.

c3b9908a.jpg

Turkey done. 40 minutes before this it was at 143, came out to check it again and the thermometer (that I forgot to pull out) said done so I quickly grabbed it.

e8965cd6.jpg

It was then tented and rested until cooled, then refrigerated overnight. I pulled it the next night by taking it off the bone and shredding using bear claws and by hand.

4db46bb3.jpg

And a test sandwich just to make sure it was as good as it smelled.

9983688d.jpg

What I learned:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI>Yes, you can make pulled turkey from a breast. This was an enhanced "hotel style" breast which had wings, and I think that helped.

<LI>The lengthy rest also helped to keep it moist, as did a batch of Kevin Kruger's pork finishing sauce.

<LI>Pulled turkey served cold makes excellent lunches for work. [/list]

Thanks for looking!

Jon, That is Bad To the Bone! I did not know turkey could be pulled.

Thanks for posting. We all learn something new everyday!
icon_biggrin.gif

Back