Meaty Blackeyed Peas

Jim_W

TVWBB Super Fan
Anybody eating blackeyed peas and hog jowls this New Years Day? Hum......wonder how long it'll take to put dry rub on all them peas? Where's Keri when ya need her..lol..bet she'd have a recipe!!

Happy New Year to all! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Heeeerreeeeessss Keri! Ta Da /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Sorry Keri.
I like my black eyed peas simple. Little salt, little pepper. Pour em over blanched collard greens with the cut up jowls on top. Mmmmm.... and don't forget the cornbread.
Did I mention butter /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

OKAY, OKAY, I'm here already! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Well, unless you get started quick, I'm a little late for this party with particular recipe for Meaty Black-Eyed Peas. It's a good one, I think. However, when we go to my 83-year-old grandma's house for hog jowl and black eyed peas here in a few hours, it'll be black-eyed peas with jalapeno out of a can, jiffy cornbread, and sliced hog jowl fried like bacon. And it'll be absolutely marvelous because I still have a grandma to eat it with! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Keri C, still smokin on Tulsa Time

* Exported from MasterCook *

MEATY BLACK EYED PEAS

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Vegetables

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
10 cups chicken stock
1 large smoked ham hock -- or 2 medium
1/2 pound bacon -- diced OR
1/2 pound smoked hog jowl -- diced
2 cups chopped onions
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 handful smoked pork butt
1 large jalapeno, seeded and chopped
2 bay leaves
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 pound dried black eyed peas
Salt and pepper

The night before serving, place ham hock (s) in a crockpot with the chicken stock, and let simmer overnight.

For the remaining preparation: In a large pan over medium heat, render the bacon or hog jowl until crisp, about 4 to 6 minutes. Add the onions and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Add smoked pork butt and a little pepper, and saute 2 more minutes. Stir in the garlic, bay leaves, thyme, black eyed peas, simmered ham hock(s), and chicken stock. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the peas are tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove the bigger chunks of pork and ham hock from the peas. Thinly slice both meats and add back to the peas. Serve with hot crusty cornbread on New Year's Day. Yield: 6 to 8 servings

Note - if you don't have the time to simmer the ham hock overnight, leave out the hock and just add some chunks of good ham. Not as good, but it'll do in a pinch. When I do pinto beans, too, I simmer the hock overnight in the crockpot to get that good flavor into the cooking water. Yum!

Keri C, Still Smokin on Tulsa Time 1-1-2004

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Back