SS grates vs SS rods - replacement grates

Eric Aarseth

TVWBB Super Fan
I have an old Genesis gasser - Genesis 1. I need to replace the grates and talking to Weber Customer service they tell me I have the choice of the porcelin coated steel grates, stainless steel version of the grates or SS rods.

The SS grates are $55.00; rods are $190. Are the rods that much better than the grates or just designed to last longer? If simply lasting longer do I want to invest that much into an older grill that may give up the ghost in the next few years (although frankly it is running as well as it ever has).

Advice?

I personally would not spend that much to put the SS rods in a Genesis 1000, which is a great grill but must have some years on it. I had a 2000 and after 12 years had a couple of rust through spots in the cooking box, rust on the frame and I just decided replacement parts weren't a good investment. Got a new Weber. The rods might not fit your next grill.

The rods will retain more heat than the SS stamped grates and will make a "prettier" grill mark.

I would go with the SS grates over the coated, however. They don't scratch when cleaned with the wrong brush.

Paul

Eric, My Summit Gold D came with the stamped stainless grates, I never put them in the grill. I went right out to Home Depot and bought the porcelin cast iron grates, Love em.
icon_biggrin.gif
Just another option for you.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I went right out to Home Depot and bought the porcelin cast iron grates, Love em. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree with Bryan. The PCI grates are fantastic.

Ray

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ray Crick:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I went right out to Home Depot and bought the porcelin cast iron grates, Love em. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree with Bryan. The PCI grates are fantastic.

Ray </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I asked Weber customer service and the lady said they (PCI grates) won't fit the Genesis 1. I did order the SS rod grate and appears to fit. Still ruminating on whether to go with the cheaper SS vs the much more expensive SS rods.

Eric
One of the reasons that they use 7 mm rods in the Genesis and 10 mm in the Summit is to do with the Heat output of the Genesis.
Given that your Genesis 1 is getting a little long in the tooth I would use the pressed SS grill rather than the SS rods. Naturally a PCI grill is the best if you can get one to fit.
There is a difference with cooking on the SS rods - a better sear - however the SS grate gets up to temp and cools much quicker.
Check your flavourizer bars for rust and repace with the SS bars if required They should see your Genesis to retirement.

Regards

I need to check with Weber on returning the SS rod grates. I had been thinking, however, I could also use them until my Genesis 1 goes kaput and then keep for my next new and improved Weber gasser (likely a Summit). But then I may want the PCI grates - what dilemnas in life.

I'm not so sure when my Genesis 1 will give up the ghost. I use on average 100 - 150 days out of the year. It stays outside year-round - covered. I've already replaced the flavorizer bar and igniter once. I'm now replacing the original grates (although I probably should have done this about 6 months ago). No holes in the base, no rust just a white-looking sort of mineralized crust in places.

Thank you for the advice. I've made a decision - as long as it won't cost me an arm and a leg to return, I'll simply go witht he stamp SS grates.

Back