3 batches of sauce done, looking for suggestions for 2 more

Kyle H.

TVWBB Fan
I've decided to make a number of different sauces for a barbecue I'm hosting next week. So far I've done two batches of mustard-based sauce, and one batch of vinegar-based.

I wanted to round out the options to five, so I'm looking for two more recipes for tomato-based sauce. I've made the Mutha Sauce before, and had mixed results with it. The first time I made it, it blew me away, but the second time I made it the flavors were slightly muted. I'm considering making that again, but am looking for recipe suggestions. I prefer a sauce that isn't too sweet or thick but am open-minded on this front, and it should have a nice spicy kick in the end

The sauce will be accompanying pulled pork and kielbasa this time around, but I usually make the sugarless texas spares from this website as well.

Thanks for your help. And don't think I haven't done my research, I've been all over the internet and haven't been very successful. Your help is appreciated!

One of my favorites, from Paul Kirk’s Championship Barbecue Sauces:

Memphis Style Barbeque Sauce

1 32 Oz bottle ketchup (I'd recommend organic)
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup prepared yellow mustard
½ cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons liquid smoke
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon garlic salt
2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
1 teaspoon celery salt.

Combine all ingredients, blend well. Place the mixture over medium heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. The sauce will keep for several weeks in an airtight jar in the refrigerator. Paul Kirk’s book is very good, lots of different recipes for rubs, marinades and sauces.

Interesting. For some reason I always thought the No. 5 Sauce was a vinegar sauce, but now that I read it more closely, I now see that's not the case. I shall definitely look into that one!

I'm liking this Memphis sauce as well, there are a lot of ingredients I like using in there. Should I reduce the brown sugar since I'm looking for a not-so-sweet sauce?

Back