I need some advice

Curtis Eddins

I purchased a prime sirloin roast from Costco. This bad boy is 12+ lbs. I would like to smoke it this weekend and would appreciate some tips from this group.

You can smoke/cook it at ~250 - or you can smoke/roast at ~325. The former will give you even doneness throughout, the latter will gove you more of a range of doneness, i.e., the meat will be more cooked toward the surfaces and less toward the center.

Either way, cook to maybe 125-130 internal; sear to finish. Rest 20-25 min before slicing.

It's not necessary. If you are going to low/slow and water is necessary for you to maintain the lower temps, use it (it is for me as my cooker sits in full sun); if not needed to keeps the temp low it is not required.

Curtis, everyone has their style, but I have NEVER put water in my pan on my WMS and just double wrapped the pan and the Mexian Platter (14 Inch) i set right on top of the water pan. I seem to see more people cooking without water, as it plays with your temperaturess as it gets hot etc. I have NEVER had a bad cook yet, and I'm a fairly new "Newbie".

I cook most my stuff at 225-240 and I leave ALL my vents closed except the top vent, which I open about 1/4 to 1/2 and use a DigiQ Guru Temp controller. It keeps in "on the money", with not even one degree variation. I've been very happy with it, and Customer Service.

Good Luck,

Back