Smoking a suckling pig

What do the WSM sages have to say about doing a small suckling pig in an 18.5? Trussing suggestions? I saw the one video from Ontario on the topic but would like more advice. Thanks from the Great Northwest.

Well i think the 18" is a bit small. But Here is some info:

Knowing the length of a piglet will let us guestimate if it will fit either size WSM or Kettle.

Circumference = Pi * Diameter

C = 3.14 * 17 (allowing for lid clearance)
C = 53.4"
Half C = 26.7"

So if a piglet measures less than 27" nose-to-tail, it should fit on an 18".

Peter Sanderson:

25 pound Pig:

Don Pflederer:

I have been reading this discussion board since I got my WSM two years ago. Normally any questions I have are already addressed or recipes I need are already available. But, I couldn't find a recipe for suckling pigs. So, after cooking two over the 4th of July weekend, I thought you folks might find my experience interesting.

I got two small pigs, 16 and 19 pounds respectively (dressed weight) from a farmer friend. We butchered them last winter and froze them. The pictures tell the story. I "roughly" followed the recipe found on http://www.chow.com/recipes/13693.

I didn't want to cook them low and slow, but I was amazed that after 3 hours at 275 they were done. The meat was very moist and tender with a consistency similar to chicken breat. I estimate that the two pigs would have fed aspprozimately 30 people.

If you have access to a suckling pig i recommend you give it a try. It would really make an impressive center piece for a fancy dinner party and it would likely draw rave reviews from your guests.

P7010231.jpg

P7020233.jpg

P7020247.jpg

P7020248.jpg

P7030137.jpg

P7030138.jpg

Cred goes to: TravisH,Peter Sanderson & Don Pflederer.

Back