Why do you use the gas assist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel B

Hello to all.

I just got my new performer and I was wondering what is the benefit to using the gas assist?
It seems to me that the chimney is much easier. Please let post how you use the gas assist over the chimney as I would like to make sure I am not missing out on something by using the chimney.

Thanks in advance

In my case I do a lot of frequent small cooks and close the vents as soon as I'm done. The coals go out pretty quickly with the vents closed so there's lots of charcoal left over for the next cook.

If I were using a chimney I would have to scoop the partially burned coals out of the grill into the chimney, light them, and pour them back into the kettle -- with the gas assist I just add a bit more charcoal, fire up the burner and go.

Even if I was starting with fresh coals every time, the easiest way to light up a chimney is to stick it on the gas lighter for a few minutes
icon_wink.gif

I agree with John, put the charcoal in the chimney and the chimney over the gas ligher. In a few minutes, the bottom of the chimney will be going. Shut off the gas (to conserve it) and let the chimney finish lighting on it own. I like the gas assist as you don't have to worry about newspaper (or the ashes). Hope you enjoy the performer as much as I do.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

If I am reading correctly, you use the chimney on top of the burner with out newspaper?

Also, If you are doing short cooks and shutting vents to conserve charcoal, does this mean you are using the charcoal holders?

Thanks again.

Yes to both questions.

My experience has been that the gas lighter adds just enough convenience that I use the Performer very frequently, while I rarely used any of my previous bbq's.

Originally posted by Angel B:
Thanks for the replies, guys.

If I am reading correctly, you use the chimney on top of the burner with out newspaper?

Also, If you are doing short cooks and shutting vents to conserve charcoal, does this mean you are using the charcoal holders?

Thanks again.

Question 1: correct I don't use newspaper or any other starter (oiled paper towel, weber starter cube, etc.).

Question 2: I actually don't use the charcoal holders. I just put the unused coals from my previous cook in the chimney then add add'l fresh coals. I use an old set of tongs to transfer the old coals into the chimney and really just focus on the larger ones as the small pieces will re-light pretty quickly after dumping the hot coals from the chimney on top of them. I'm not saying you should or shouldn't use the charcoal holders, just that I haven't used them yet.

Ok guys, I think I am figuring this out. It does seem very convinient to leave the coal in the performer when finished and quickly lighting them when you need to cook again. If you don't use the charcoal baskets, do you just make a pyramid of coals over where the burner is?

The weber owners manual says you should use 14.1 or 16 oz lp bottles. I was at sams yesterday and they had 4packs of 16.4 bottles. Can I use this or do the bottles have to be exactly 14.1 or 16 oz. By the way, the 4 bottles at sams were less than 10 bucks.

Thanks.

Not sure about the pyramid, I always use the chimney.

I beleive the 16.4 bottles will work. I use the coleman bottles and I think they are 16.4 oz

I seem to remember the size throwing me off too.

Lowes also carries the 16.4 coleman bottles in the section by the grills and the 14 oz bottles in the tool section (for torches) if you want to compare the two.

The Performer works with either the tall thin torch bottles (14 oz) or the short squatty camping bottles (16 oz).

That 4 pack of 16.4 oz bottles sounds just right.

The weber owners manual says you should use 14.1 or 16 oz lp bottles. I was at sams yesterday and they had 4packs of 16.4 bottles. Can I use this or do the bottles have to be exactly 14.1 or 16 oz. By the way, the 4 bottles at sams were less than 10 bucks.

Thanks.

I use CHEAP 16.? oz bottles, with the accent on CHEAP
icon_wink.gif

I used to stick my chimney on the side burner of my gas grill.

I've also used my turkey fryer to fire up some coals.

Granted I have only had my Performer two days now. I LOVE the gas assist. I've used it for three cooks so far. Yesterday I lit a full chimney with the burner and did some chicken. When I was done cooking, I shut the vents and it went out quickly. This afternoon, I just pushed the larger pieces of lump over the burner and after about 3 minutes it was going good, I spread them out and cooked again.

Same deal for dinner tonight. It makes is SUPER easy to restart the remaining charcoal in the bowl!

The gas assist is what makes the Performer ssoooo worth it. I have used the same coals 3 times now and still have enough for a quick cook without adding more.

I just pile mine up over the burner and presto...grillin' 5 minutes later. It works better than I had hoped for.

Angel
In answer to your original question, I find that I can light the equivalent of a chimney of briquettes faster using the gas assist than using a chimney. about 4 - 5 minutes quicker actually. The chimney I use is a heat beads brand chimney. I suggest that you do a comparison of your own to ascertain which is the more efficient. You may be surprised at the results.

Regards

Thanks for all the replies.

I have been using the gas assist and here are my thoughts:

It's nice not to have to use paper when I use the chimney. I put it over the burner for 5-10 minutes and its done. It does take about half an hour for the top coals to turn gray. Is that normal?

I've also used the burner to light used coals left from prior cooks. This is a great thing! I piled them on top of the burner and ran the gas for about 10 minutes. Total time to cook was about half an hour. It definitely saves on coals to do it this way.

Is it normal for coals to take about half an hour to be ready? Sorry, but I am a recent gas grill to charcoal convert. I am using Kingsford.

One final question: How do you guys tell how open your bottom vents are? I cant see the vents when the grate is full of coal. I know that the lever moved all the way to the left is completely shut. Other than completely shut, I cant tell how open the vents are. How do you guys do it?

Thanks again.

I used a magic marker, and marked the vent control ring/slot. Marked along the slot where the vents begin to be uncovered, and where they are completely open. Helps vent control immensely to know what it is doing.

BTW, I also love my Performer, and close up the bowl when done cooking, to smother the fire and reuse charcoal for my next cook.

It does take about half an hour for the top coals to turn gray. Is that normal?

Angel
30 minutes is about average - you can cut down the time a bit by stacking the briquettes geometrically but it only saves 5 minutes. Also you do not need the gas assist on for 10 minutes try seven next time and then try 5 minutes. and time how long it takes for the coals to be ashed over.

Regards

I use the chimney over the assist about 95%. I only leave it on until the charcoal is lit halfway up the chimney (sometimes less). I shut off then and just let the remaining coals light as usual. I see no need to leave the assist on beyond that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back