maintaining global knives?

Pinny

TVWBB Super Fan
I went to the knife shop today to get an upgrade to my Cutco chef's knife. I tried the Shun and Wuthoff classic but didn't find either comfortable. The Global G-2 (8" chef knife), however was a dream! It is so comfortable in my hand, and it's also razor sharp. I don't think I'll ever use my Cutco again (except maybe as a chicken bone cleaver).

My question however, is how do I maintain the sharp edge on this knife. I read in some places that you shouldn't steel Japanese knives. Others said you should, just use ceramic or diamond steels (I own a diamond one). At the same time, Alton Brown writes in his kitchen gear book not to use diamond steels because you'll mess up your edge.

I love my new knife, but I'm confused as to how to keep it sharp. What's an easy and effective way to keep it razor sharp?

Thanks!
Pinny

No, you won't 'mess up your edge'. Diamond steels on Globals are fine. (I've had a G-2 since the 80s.) That said, diamond steels are for maintenance and light sharpening. The angle you need to steel at is a more accute, Japanese angle -- not the much wider angle of typical American and European knives. Steel only occasionally and accordingly, about 10-11?.

For actual sharpening (if you are going to do it yourself) you will either need Japanese whetstones, Global's stones, Shapton stones, or a good system that allows for much tighter angles than are typical. I use Japanese knives exclusively. Though I have stones I use at home, I travel with an EdgePro Apex. If that isn't in the budget, or if you are going to stick with just the G-2 for a while, get one of Global's Mino-sharp sharpeners. Not the best but it will work okay and costs less.

Thanks Kevin. One more question- do I have to get the Global brand diamond/ceramic steel, or can I just use the Smith's brand diamond steel I already own. The steel was only 15 bucks at walmart, but it feels like a high quality item to me.

I have Globals. I use a diamond steel and it stays very sharp. I don't know if I'm doing it quite right - proper angle and all, but it seems to work. I don't remember the source, but I think it was an outlet recommended here, by Kevin. It wasn't very expensive. Has a kind of oval cross section to it. I also have the Mino-sharp and use it only very occasionally.

BTW - I've dropped my chef's knife twice now! Once it stuck in the hardwood floor like a knife thrower had launched it, and the other day it fell to the floor and the very tip of it is bent, just a bit. I was really bummed at that. Works fine, though.

I travel with an EdgePro Apex

I've had my eye on this for some time. I assume it meets your approval?

Today, I added to my collection of japanese steel with a tojiharu damascus petty. I figure its a matter of time before I figure out how to sharpen my own knives. I'm thinking the edge pro might be the way to go.

Yes, I love the thing. It is not difficult at all to use. Go to their site and see if they have the How-to streaming video on it. (They didn't, then they did, then I guess they didn't again -- but I think it's back now.) The unit comes with a DVD (it did, and likely still does) but it would be helpful to look now and see if it's the route you want to go. Once you do it once, pretty much, it will make complete sense, you'll get the hang of it straight away, and then it just gets easier (you'll move along faster) as you use it over time.

until I watched the video, I didn't totally understand how it worked.

It looks pretty simple, but it sounds like there's still a little learning curve?

I assume the stones require water or oil, and do they need to be occasionally replaced?

It looks like the dvd is 10 bucks. there's a kit that includes the dvd and a ceramic hone for 20 bucks over the base price.

There are many ways to sharpen knives. Some work well. For kitchen knives the Edge Pro has everything you could want - leaves a great edge, easy to use, pretty fast, adjustable to different angles. Everything, that is, except a low price.

Still, if I had bought it decades ago instead of trying all the myriad other methods, it would have been cheaper by far.

The learning curve is short. The stones require water. It comes with a squeeze bottle, but working next to a sink has proven handy.

Except for the very coarse stone, which you don't use regularly, they last a long time.

I'd echo Carl on everything and simply add that replacement stones, when you do need them, are inexpensive.

I don't have the ceramic hone but probably wouldn't use it if I did. Finishing the edge with light swipes of the extra fine stone, almost dry, works quite well.

The DVD is a very thorough introduction to using the Edge Pro. If you are apprehensive about your ability to figure out how to use the system then it's worth getting.

On the hone we differ. I highly recommend one. It significantly lengthens the time between sharpenings. (Use a very slightly wider angle; a couple very light passes each side; done.)

I have a set of Global Kives which I love. I use the Mino-Sharp for sharpening them when Her Indoors uses them. I touch them up with a diamond steel when I use them or when I want to carve with them.
The Mino-Sharp works well just don't put a lot of pressure on the blade. Once you have used it for a while it becomes easy to maintain an edge. I think that originally the angles were slightly different.

Cheers

No, not for most of them. The angle cannot be set acute enough.

Dave -- Dunno on the CC 130 model. Earlier models (110, 120) I very much disliked as they removed too much metal, scratched knives easily and disallowed angle setting. I've not tried a 130 but it would seem that the potential for removing too much metal is there. Further, I don't like not being able to set the angle, alter the bevel or remove it, soften a spine, etc. To me, if you are going to spends serious money on knives, spend serious money on an appropriate sharpeners. The 130 seems like a lot of money for what seems to be an electric stone, an electric steel and an electric strop. For that much money or a bit more one could go with stones or an EdgePro. Yes, there is learning curve but it is not difficult.

They other thing, claims nothwithstanding, the CC models I've tried do not get a knife as sharp as manual sharpening does. And despite what many think it does not take long at all to sharpen a knife. Restoration of a damaged or extremely dull knife can take some time, but it is not major.

Maybe. I'd prefer it if the stones were water stones. Could be worth a shot. At least you can get tight.

In addition to my Edge Pro, I also own a Lansky (which is pretty much identical to Gatco). I still prefer the Lansky for my pocket knife, but that's another story.

The Lansky will do a fine job on most knives. It is slower than the Edge Pro for long kitchen blades and doesn't do quite as good a job with flexible blades. The blade is not supported like with the Edge Pro, so pressure on the stone tends to flex the blade. The angle changes depending on how much pressure you exert. Changing angle generally equals a less sharp result.

Back